Jeweler's loupe?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Trebor

Master Sergeant
Feb 15, 2008
KCLS
say, does anyone here use a jeweler's loupe when they're modeling? like one that you can put on your eye? how does it work for you? I've been considering doing something like that

Each way of making a better view while working on small bits, is welcome. But I don't think that the very large zoom is useful every time. Personally I use the 1.8-4.8x headband magnifier. It is very useful for me and I can recommend a such one. There is a lot of these offered via the net. There are tools with magnifying glasses and clamps that allow to hold stable parts in place for gluing. A such tool can be put on the table. These can have a light often to make the working area better seen.

My headband magnifier ...

lupa-naglowna-okulary-modelarskie.jpg

I've actually already got one of those. I was wondering how useful a jeweler's loupe would be. heh

Rob, if your sight got worse and a pair glasses is needed , the jeweler's loupe is really very useful. I can recommend that .

This is a topic of interest for me as well. I am 50 years old so my close-up vision is not what it used to be. I use 1.00 reading glasses when I'm in my hobby workshop. When I really need to zoom in on small details, I've been relying on a magnifying glass that built into the X-Acto Helping Hands tool.

51UPAGGI2PL._SY355_.jpg

Since then I've bought a lamp with a magnifying glass built-in but still prefer the X-Acto tool due to convenience (easier to move it in and out of position).

tab._table-desk-lamp-with-magnifying-glass-5x.jpg

I've heard many modelers recommend a set of jewler's loupes as Wurger posted. But there are also some "dental loupes" available on Ebay for fairly reasonable prices.

$(KGrHqR,!qYFGTwpE5COBRuEMHZ,Gg~~60_12.jpg

Here is one modeler that uses these...

Review: 3.5X-420mm Dental Binocular Loupes | Doogs' Models

I can tell you from experience that holding a loupe in place gets very tiring after a while...especially if this is something you don't use very often (and usually gives me a headache after a while).

For intricate work, I use an illuminated magnifying glass that's attached to a large desk-mounted arm or a magnifying visor like Wurger mentioned.

yyouch! those dental loupes are a chunk of change. but anyways, I already have the helping hands with a magnifier and the desk lamp with magnifier in it. but I just wanted to hear everyone's opinion on the jeweler's loupe. I won't get one that you have to hold, I figured I'd get one that fits in my eye. and I've also considered geting reading glasses for modeling. I have perfect vision, tho

I agree with GG's opinion. Long time holding a monocle in a such way may cause a kind of discomfort and a muscle pain around the eye. To be honest there isn't any reason of using the kind of magnifying glasses because the kind of the jeweler's loupe requires keeping of a model piece very close to the eye "armed" with the loupe or bowing down to the piece. I don't think it could be something nice for your backbone or eyes, especially if you have perfect vision. Therefore I recommend more the magnifying glasses of the headband type rather than the jeweler's loupe of the monocle one.

If not too late, I've found one big problem with any single lens system, i.e.: you loose depth perception. I have the helping hands Xacto type and the lamp-type magnifier and find that as a single lens system that loss of depth perception can be a real problem. I have found that the head-band type to be the most useful though mine is a bit different. The outer primary lenses (2) are 1.5X. Inside is a flip-down set, also 1.5X so that you are now at 2.25X the single lens drop-down is another 4.6X but you are now back to single lens. What I like the most is the inclusion of the LED light bar which focuses extra light exactly where you need it.

Attachments

• magfy.JPG
    magfy.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 82
Geo, that I do not know, probably China somewhere, but the seller is FixFind on Ebay. $2.99 + 1.99 S&H

Users who are viewing this thread

Back