Last Activity:
Mar 25, 2015 at 5:00 PM
Jul 16, 2009
Trophy Points:
Positive ratings received:
Neutral ratings received:
Negative ratings received:

Post Ratings

Received: Given:
Bacon 0 0
Like 0 0
Dislike 0 0
Agree 0 0
Disagree 0 0
Funny 0 0
Winner 0 0
Informative 0 0
Friendly 0 0
Useful 0 0
Optimistic 0 0
Creative 0 0
Old 0 0
Bad Spelling 0 0
Dumb 0 0
South Plainfield New Jersey
Computer Guy

Share This Page


Active Member, from South Plainfield New Jersey

dirkpitt289 was last seen:
Mar 25, 2015
    1. B-17engineer
      Maplewood Hobby shop Hobby Shop, Wargames, Magic the Gathering, Model Train Sets | Maplewood, NJ
    2. Nxthanos
      Hey Dirk, its me (Chris). it seems the other place murdered me, so here i am!
    3. B-17engineer
      Hi Dirk,

      How's your camera situation going? I just got a new camera and you can have my old one if you want. It's not really a good camera a Kodak C310 with only video and auto settings but if you'd like it I can send it later this month when I have a bit more money.

    4. B-17engineer
      Whats with all your pics? They say bandwith exceeded haha
    5. B-17engineer
      Yeah no girls yet. My leave was self imposed to give my best effort in school
    6. dirkpitt289
      Ah, school will do that to a modeler. I thought you met a girl the number one killer of model builders LOL Was your leave self imposed or parent directed? The good thing is schools just about over
    7. B-17engineer
      Hey Dirk,

      I have been extremely busy with school and what not. I finally got back to the bench today.

      BTW you builds are looking great!!!!
    8. Airframes
      Hi Dirk, the four-bladed prop was introduced in mid to late 1944, along with the larger Tempest tailplane, starting with the MN serial range. BUT !! There were also retro-fits to older aircraft, and every combination you can think off - 4 blade and normal tail, 3 blade and Tempest tail, both, etc!!!
      Aircraft in 2 TAF were supposed to have black spinners, but many, especially replacement aircraft, still had Sky spinners. Some squadrons, or individuals, had the spinners painted, for example, white with a blue tip, others red overall, others blue overall, some with spirals etc. The only way to ascertain the colour is from photo or reliable profile evidence of a particular machine.
      Sorry it's frustrating, I've just gone through the same process, but hope this helps!
    9. Airframes
      I just mixed my own Olive Drab, in an approximation of the lighter of the two shades, adding yellow and / or Dark Earth (Humbrol 29) to Dark Green (Humbrol 30 or 163) until it looked how I wanted it, compared to photographs. I also have the advantage of having seen 'real' faded and weathered OD as it looks on aluminium, although mainly on older Land Rover vehicles I worked with, so this helps to understand which way various paints look after time in the elements.
      I rarely use, or aim for, an 'exact' colour match as per published examples.
    10. Airframes
      Hi Dirk. The model was first airbrushed in a 'faded' Olive Drab, mixed until it just looked how I wanted it, and then the other fading, staining and dirt was brush painted around and in the panels on the wings, and down the sides of the fuselage. This was done in stages, using a 'dry brush', and also normal brushing techniques, with the paints thinned to various viscosities, and also some 'damp brushing'.
      The paint chipping etc was done again by brush, painting each individual area, using a mix of silver with matt white, some greys and other metallics, working from photos of the actual aircaft . All of this was done after the decals, on the gloss clear coat, the final bits on the matt clear coat, so as to include the markings in the 'weathering'. Some of the fuselage code letters were hand painted, as the decals shrivelled!
      BTW, all the paints were Humbrol enamels.
      I haven't forgotten the Defiant information BTW.
    11. Maglar
      Thanks Dirk.. Means a lot. Sorry about 666, but you'll eventually get her done and it will be worth the hassle and anger that went into making it. I have a 1/72 Academy B17-G in the stash and when I first opened it the right wing piece was broken in half. To me that speaks of a curse! But CA patched it and she awaits for me..

    12. B-17engineer
      Nice. I got it out right now since my dad is reading a paper and making corrections. :D

      Check you email :)
    13. dirkpitt289
      no problem, I got stuff to do along with taking the pooch to the vet. No rush
    14. B-17engineer
      Sure thing Dirk. Will send it to you later... it has some nice info. Busy at the moment but I'll get it off hopefully before 8 :D
    15. B-17engineer
      Posted some Typhoon pictures.... do you need the text.. there is two pages devoted to the typhoons on D-Day and Falaise.
    16. Maglar
      Thanks for the sentiment dirk. I want to get it done also, but I stupidly sprayed the cowls separate and now realize any glue will ruin the finish and ill have to go for another spray round. We'll see where we're at after the Lib and such.. :D
    17. Crimea_River
      Dirk, thanks. Maybe I'll check it out
    18. B-17engineer
      Think of it as a late Christmas gift :D

      Glad you like it!

    19. B-17engineer
      She'll be in the mail tomorrow :D
    20. beaupower32
      Ty for the comment.
  • Loading...
  • Loading...
  • About

    South Plainfield New Jersey
    Computer Guy
    United States
    Red Sox Baseball, New England Patriots Football, New Jersey Devils Hockey, and scale Model building
    2nd Country:
    Former C-130 Mechanic. Now I'm just the Computer Guy