Joppien's Bf109E (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It should remebered that the appearance of Bf109E during the BoB period has been changing. It can be noticed in many pictures. For instance the mottling on fuselage sides, yellow areas of quick ID etc..... The profile above shows an Emil of Jabo Staffel of the I./JG51. In fact it was a fighter-bomber variant of Bf109E. So I wouldn't follow that one. I'll dig more in books.

Here is a pic of Bf 109Es believing in the caption these were of 4.JG51 , France 1940. Source .... http://www.asisbiz.com

1-Bf-109E-4.JG51-(W1+)-Josef-Fozo-taking-off-France-1940-01.jpg

Please notice that three of these have light painted engine cowlings. The yellow is very possible. But the one with the number "4" seems to be of darker colour there what can suggest painting with standard colours. Concerning the colour of rudders.. it is quite hard to say. The number"5" seems to have there white bars painted as victory markings. If there would be yellow background these white markings weren't visible so clear and were black rather.

Last edited:
Molders had to allocate one Staffel from each of his Gruppen to lug bombs across the channel. The Staffeln assigned the Jabo role were 2.and 9./JG 51 and 1./JG 77. I'm not sure why Garnith was fitted with a rack but I know pilots flew with racks even when not on Jabo missions. Xavier Ray was not pleased that his slowed him down.

021140-Me-109-Fw-Ray.gif

Cheers
Steve

Do you think then that the Mickey mouse emblem should be included?

On all the photos 1./JG51 from the book "Das Jagdgeschwader 51 (Molders): Eine Bilddokumentation Uber Die Jahre 1938-1945", and photos from eBay, Mickey mouse emblem painted.

2 scans from "Das Jagdgeschwader 51 (Molders)...." with emblem on left side

Attachments

• ff.jpg
    ff.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 66
  • dd.jpg
    dd.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 71
Yes the 1./JG51 emblem was painted on Bf109Es of the Staffel. But it might have been omitted on machines of the Stab Gruppe. I have used a Photoshop and made something like that depending on the Bf109E variant. Of course it is my imagination only.

Attachments

• Joppien JG51 gruppe1_2a.jpg
    Joppien JG51 gruppe1_2a.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Joppien JG51 gruppe1_2.jpg
    Joppien JG51 gruppe1_2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Joppien JG51 gruppe1_1a.jpg
    Joppien JG51 gruppe1_1a.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Joppien JG51 gruppe1_1.jpg
    Joppien JG51 gruppe1_1.jpg