Ju-88A1 Question.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
I have this picture of defensive armament on a Ju-88A1. Who manned these guns?

Attachments

• Ju88A1-Guns.jpg
    Ju88A1-Guns.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 108
More... and also were there one or 2 pilots?

Attachments

• Ju88A1-Guns-angle.jpg
    Ju88A1-Guns-angle.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 109
  • Ju88A1-Ventral.jpg
    Ju88A1-Ventral.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 114
  • Ju88A4-guns.jpg
    Ju88A4-guns.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 107
  • Ju88A4-Rear-gunner2.jpg
    Ju88A4-Rear-gunner2.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 112
  • JU88A4-Rear-gunner-.jpg
    JU88A4-Rear-gunner-.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 114
well

the rear facing guns was manned by the radio operater ( bordfunker ) and the same with the two sidefireing guns in the upper rear canopy that was added. the forward fireing guns was used by the bombadier who was seated next to the pilot.
he had a "notsteurung" ( emergencygrip ) grip he could use to help the pilot fly. but that was a emergency situation only.
so it had in common only one pilot ! but could get help when needed flying the aircraft. but that does not include the rudder pedals..only conrolgrip movment
i am not at home these days but i can add pics of this later when i get home to my restoration archive !
the guns in the bottom gondola was used by the gunner situated down in the bola ( he had a small jumpseat he could fold out and use up in the rear of the cabin )when not laying down in the gondola manning the guns !

hope this helps a littlebit

Wow so one man manned 4 guns? That's a lot of jumping around!

Thanks so much for the info. Did the pilot have a fixed machine gun?

Was it the same deal with the bombardier in the Dornier Do-17? He helped the pilot?

Attachments

• Dornier-17P.jpg
    Dornier-17P.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 95
as you perhaps know it was 4 man in the 88 cockpit..and quite cramped..and one can only imagine the stress of changing to one gun after the other ( like the bordfunker-radiooperator who was seated with his back to the pilot facing backwards )
and he used the guns after from what angle they were attacked. the same ith the two facing forwards, they were used by the bombadier but he could only use one at the time. the one up in the front canopy was used when not sitting on his knees looking in the bombsight but seated in his seat next to the pilot. when using the lotfe bombsight he could reach the one mounted in the front nose canopy ( this was not added to all 88`s. pretty much a field modification like guns mounted on the side rear canopy. byt these was so common so on later 88`s the mount for sidemounting Mg`s came as a standard from the factory )

the pilot did only have fixed guns on the C variant with 4 guns mounted in the nose, and yes. it was the same with teh Do-17

but the 88 cockpit is quite small so he can actually reach all 4 guns ( two facing backward and two on each side ) by just some minor movments from the radioseat :)

Oh I see. Pilot, bombardier, radio operator and one committed gunner. Very interesting the way the plane was set up.

Oh, in the long run what do you think would've been a better bomber?

but be aware of some books stating that the forward facing Mg 15 gun in the top front canopy( that could be looked with a clawgrip ) was used by the pilot aiming thru the small revi 12 c sight. this is utterly nonsense . it was looked down in this claw when not in use and during take off-landings. and when in this lokked position the handle with the trigger is out of reach for the pilot and also facing the glass on the right side canopy. and the revi 12 c was used by the pilot during divebombing. the lotfe 7c ( or BZG 2 on early versions was used on level flight bombing . it was also used on divebombs but that was just to aquire the target. then the autopilot took over and then the pilot used the revi 12c for minor adjustments during the dive)
all this i have been learned by former Ju 88 pilots who has visited the work shop and the restoration of the Ju 88 a1, and a lot of it is pure sense when seeing the cockpit and how it all works ( by the way..the 88 had a autopilot divebomb system. all the pilot had to do was to set the pull out altitude and adjust the dive towards the target thru the small revi 12 sight, the autopilot did the rest ( on the sideconsol its a lever saying sturzbomb ) dive-bomb. pull this lever and the autopilot puts the plane in a dive. retract the small cowflaps, feather the props and adjust the dive in a correct level. when reaching pull out altitude it drops the bombs ( auto ) release the divebreaks and pull out of the dive..and reposition the props and cowlflaps.
all on auto :) i will post a full original schematic on thsi when i get hoem if interested. its also on my website ( ju88.net ) on technical section :)

in the long run the Ju 88 was the better bomber in my opinion ( if you think about do 17 and ju 88 ) as the 88 pooved its worth as a plane that could do everything. a multi role aircraft :)

but i have two favorites..hehe Ju 88 and B-17 :)

thanks :) hope you will enjoy the website. its a lot on that site regarding the 88 and the restoration :)

just write Ju88.net og google and you will find it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back