Ju88 vs De Havilland Mosquito (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You're just doing what i would expect...mucking about cos you've run out of steam - the arguement is mine i beleive

unless you want another round? :rightfighter5: or manage to find a website that backs you up...you might have trouble though - they don't exist!

Yeah cos you;ve got the guts to admit when you've been proved wrong - its different if its just down to opinion but in the case of the Ju88 and the mossie JJ1982 is clearly wrong so he should admit he is

:leftfighter4:

The Mosquito was also capable of taking off on 1 engine with a full payload , as long as it had reached flying speed . Could the JU88 do this?

I have also read accounts of Pilots who have stated that the Mossie having 2 Engines , was an absolute waste of Rolls Royce Merlins , as it apparently flew just as well on 1 engine .

And in 1941 when the Mossie was still under development , a USAF General was treated to an Aerobatic Display by Geoffory de Haviland , and apparently he was doing this all on 1 Engine , and a book I read called "The Wooden Wonder" , stated that all this was being done at nearly 400mph .

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

apparently flew just as well on 1 engine .

Yes, i read that on one of the test flights with a prototype an engine cut out (how embarassing), but he just kept flying and the air ministry were very impressed (not the impression they gave when the idea of a wooden plane was first submitted..................)

On the 4th May 1941 , the prototype Mosquito's 100th flight-test achieved 392 mph at 22,000 ft. , weighing 16,000lbs.,[ faster than the then model Spitfire...] On 8 October with Merlin 77's [1710 hp.each,] a top speed of 439 mph was reached. The highest they flew were 43,600 ft. - Such were the first models, but the firepower, bomb weight [ a 4000 lb. ' Cookie' blast-bomb, ] rockets and mines, were superb for a two-man aircraft. - It didn't need torpedo's, with rockets and 20mm X 4 cannons, or .303 X 4 machine-guns to help aim the Molins 37mm or 57mm cannons [ 25 rounds in 20 secs, ] it punched holes in U-boats and ships, and it's remarkable wooden construction made them endurable and easily repairable. - The Mosquito was without doubt the most successful aircraft of WWII, nearly 8,000 were built of all variants and it's service extended until well after the War. - The Ju88 was a fine aircraft and an admirable opponent of the Mosquito, but it was heavier, not as powerful, not as well-armed and had more than 2 crew as a rule.

Y'know reading posts like these just strengthen my resolve and really do show without a shadow of a doubt that the Mosquito belongs in the history book as one of the finest (IMO THE finest) aircraft to have EVER flown - it was truly an amazing work of genious

and of course it couldn't be anything other than British \:D/

Rule Brittania! :ramboface:

The concept of the unarmed bomber was actually first proposed by Handley-Page although they just couldn't seem to get it together sufficiently well enough and in the end lost out to De Havilland.

The Mosquito really takes the title because for many years it was damn near impossible to kill. The Luftwaffe wasted massive resources in trying to find a solution and paid it the ultimate compliment by copying it with the Ta-153 Moskito. It was five miles per hour faster than the 190-A series at low altitude, and left everything else behind. Even the "Uhu" whose main purpose was top be fast enough and able enough to kill Mosquito's couldn't actually manage it that well. (See Eric Brown "Wings of The Luftwaffe.")

Also bear in mind that it's bomb carrying capacity was almost the same as a B-17.

The Mosquito was used as a dive bomber by Leonard Cheshire and Micky Martin in 617 Squadron. They developed this technique to accurately deliver Target Indicators after they found the Lancaster was a bit too big to use in this way. In the end virtually all of No.5 Group used this technique as it proved to be extremely succesful.

Oh and they built them in Christchurch so it had to be good!

Choi Gien!

The concept of a bomber flying faster than most of the fighters around at the time, is not a new one , the DH9 (de Haviland Aircraft Factory Model No 9) which was first delivered to RFC Squadrons in 1917 , flew faster than most of the fighters the Germans had , but it did not have a much of a payload .

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back