Ju88 vs De Havilland Mosquito

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

For the British here, did any of you see the 'Daring Raids of World War 2' on Channel 5?

The Amiens raid in 1944...and the Mosquito was the first to bomb Berlin in daylight.

Mosquito takes the gold.

i read about that raid, the mosiie was the first to fly through berlin, they didn't drop any bombs, they just innterupted a parade by flying through the street at very low level..................

Yes they did drop bombs, Goebbels was about to have a aniversary speech of Hitler rising to power. The Mosquitos dropped bombs just as the radio broadcast was about to start and Goebbels had to take cover and the radio broadcast was delayed.

Well, being totally addicted and obsessed,[ above all other Aircraft,] in the DH98 de Havilland Mosquito, [ Hornet ], the GREATEST thing about them is that soon, they WILL be flying again, and in time, there will be a few.- As I've posted in here [somewhere] before, a man called Glyn Powell [and team] in Auckland, New Zealand, has re-built the fuselage moulds and recently made the first new fuselage [ in 50 odd years ], and involvement with guys in the Canadian Mosquito scene will soon see them flying again.[ For those interested, I think www.mossie.org has the updates...]- With todays glues etc. they will be even more durable.
Following the topic, they did alot of 'nuisance raids' like Berlin as mentioned, and drew enemy nightfighters off the Main Force bombers by their 'spoof' raids - they did actually target-mark as if the heavies were coming, drop some themselves, and shot-thru home. They also were probably the only aircraft to do two raids a night. Different variants would be up on nightly missions, first the weather reconnaisance, then target- markers with the Main Force and the nuisance/spoof raiders, the nightfighters, and finally the post-action reconnaisance Mossies for photo results.- I don't think any other aircraft can claim that sort of versatility....They were the BEST.

Yes they did drop bombs, Goebbels was about to have a aniversary speech of Hitler rising to power. The Mosquitos dropped bombs just as the radio broadcast was about to start and Goebbels had to take cover and the radio broadcast was delayed.

There were 2 daylight raids on Berlin that day, the initial raid was done by 105 Squadron, which was the first Mosquito Sqaudron in the RAF, the second raid which was timed to coincide with an Anniversary Parade, through the streets of Berlin later the same day, was done by 139 Squadron which was the 2nd Mosquito Squadron in the RAF, but as there were so few Mosquitos available both raids were done using the same aircraft , as 105 109 Squadron had to share only the crews changed.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Since RR299 crashed in 1996, there hasn't been any flying, but there are about 30 odd survivors worldwide and folk are working on them. Glyn Powell purchased a T.Mk.43, or what was left of it, the woodwork being useless, and set about his task straight-off determined to get it flying. There's probably 4-5 that are possibly restorable to flying condition , mostly in Canada where they were made during the War - I try to keep up with what's going on worldwide, but haven't heard yet if any are - Have you anymore details of it ??

I've just checked on the Mosquito site and TA719, a B-35, is being restored at Duxford presently, but it doesn't say if it's to fly. It's been in the Imperial War Museum on display for some time prior to this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back