Jumo 211 as a fighter engine (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Those were experimental units. And British ground control radar was very primative during 1940. Night fighting in 1940 was nothing like the professional organizations that existed during 1943.

Those were experimental units. And British ground control radar was very primative during 1940. Night fighting in 1940 was nothing like the professional organizations that existed during 1943.

You might want to check the claims for the spring of 1941, granted these are just claims but something was going on. With shift of effort to the Russian front in May/June the number of attacks may have decreased leading to a fall in intercepts.

Experimental or not, they were scoring hits.
Re. ground radars: just about every piece of military hardware was primitive back in 1940, 1950, 1960. The radars were there, and were put to a good use.
Every year of war seen advances in mil-tech. Comparing a piece of kit, or any organization from 1940 with counterpart of 1943 is pretty lame.

The first confirmed RAF night fighter kill happened during July 1940. The second confirmed RAF night fighter kill happened during November 1940. The German night fighter force did a bit better, shooting down about 50 aircraft during 1940.

I think it's fair to say a German bomber flying over England at night during 1940 has a better chance of being struck by lightning then being shot at by a RAF night fighter.

Hmm, how many were struck by lightning?

On a more serious note, I've stated (post #15) that 1941 was the year when RAF night fighters were the decent combat force, not the 1940 anyway :)

The first confirmed RAF night fighter kill happened during July 1940. The second confirmed RAF night fighter kill happened during November 1940. The German night fighter force did a bit better, shooting down about 50 aircraft during 1940.

I think it's fair to say a German bomber flying over England at night during 1940 has a better chance of being struck by lightning then being shot at by a RAF night fighter.

British Night fighters "claimed" 22 in March of 1941,"'Claimed" 48 in April '41 and "claimed" 96 in the first two weeks of May '41.

While German bombers were safe flying by night in 1940 I don't think the same could be said about spring/summer of 1941 let alone 1942/43.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back