Ken Burns WW2 Doc

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pbfoot

1st Lieutenant
Apr 14, 2005
niagara falls
Ken Burns who made the landmark US Civil war and Baseball documentaries has just recently finished one on WW2 however he is being legally challenged by Hispanic groups for being non inclusive of Hispanic's in his doc.
MediaChannel.org

Heard about that. Seems a little on the odd side. If they don't like his interpetation of history, they sue him? Going to sue anyone who makes a movie they don't agree with. I understand their perspective (he doesn't mention the hispanic involvement in the war). So the answer is simple.

Make your own documentary.

Revisionist history again. What is so wrong with the truth or an honest, objective documentry? There were contributions by all races during WWII but why the need to highlight everyone. Its ridiculus.

I'm waiting for docu about the Nanucks in the Zulu Wars.:rolleyes:

Revisionist history again. What is so wrong with the truth or an honest, objective documentry? There were contributions by all races during WWII but why the need to highlight everyone. Its ridiculus.

I'm waiting for docu about the Nanucks in the Zulu Wars.:rolleyes:

For the same reasons that we had the little dispute about the Canadian contributions to the air war. It's called making people aware. Leaving groups out implies non-involvement, or subservience to another party . The same would not occur for African-Americans now, even though their contributions were brushed under the carpet for many years.

That's why a "honest, objective documentary" requires an acknowledgement of all groups' contributions to the war-effort.

I understand what you're saying but like Tim said, "make your own". How many WWII docus are out there and how many cultures were involved? Burns is the only authority and is making the last WWII docu ever? Its stupid.

Its like bitching why the movie "Go For Broke" didn't have African-Americans and their contribution to the war in the movie. You focus on one section or area and do your best. But it sounds like they're just bitcin to hear themselves talk.

If he had been making a doc about a specific subject then I would agree with you. However, he was making a 14 1/2 hour series looking at the effect and contributions of four American towns during the entire war, and and in all the theatres. Now, I don't have the demographics of these towns but he seemed to have missed part of these communities by omitting Hispanics.

If they were good enough to be called up to serve (and die) for their country, then they're certainly good enough to have a say in such a series.

...looking at the effect and contributions of four American towns during the entire war...

And that is my point. Where there any Hispanics in those towns? I don't know the demosgraphics either but he is specific narrowing it down to four towns and their contributions. IF there were no Hispanics in those towns how and why is he gonna tell their story. Its not part of his script.

Again, not knowing about those towns I may be jumping ahead but it seems another victim group complaining. I may be wrong as I said, and until we see what its about not much to disgree with. I just hate when groups start suing for their piece of the pie that they don't deserve. I've seen too many times idiot arguments from groups who have no business in what is happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back