Killed, damaged, probable and FRIGHTENED?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

vinnye

Senior Airman
Dec 28, 2009
Barnsley, UK
These are the "claims" made by some RAF pilots during thw War!

In 1941 when we got fed up with German fighter pilots showing too strong a desire to live to fight another day, we introduced a "frightened."
This new category originated, from my wing. The first time a "frightened" appeared in a combat report, the Intelligence chaps asked what on earth was meant by "three frightened."
We told them and added that we thought it was rather funny. Evidently we were the only ones who thought so and it was suggested that we should refrain.
We got our own back.
A few days later over France we were coming away from the target when we sighted a lone ME-109. Four of us went after him.
see -
Johnny Johnson

Fight over France
The section consisted of Cocky Dundas, Johnnie Johnson, Sergeant Smith and myself. The Hun dived as we were on his flank and he saw us coming.
He pulled out after a short dive and I pulled out short to cut him off. But I was going very fast and wasn't too careful.
I blacked myself out for a moment and never saw the Hun again. We got together and flew back home.
When we landed Cocky and the others came up to me and said, "By Jove, that was Jolly good shooting," and I said, "What?"
They said, "Well, you must have been 300 yards away when that Hun baled out."
I told them I hadn't fired my guns and none of them had either. We rushed for a combat report form and wrote it down quickly: "One ME-109F frightened. Confirmed, seen by three pilots."
We had to have our laugh and I know the boys at the other end laughed too.

Just re- surfaced, after 'this that', to read this thread.

Funny - only recently I have been reviewing my engagements recategorising them as Frightened!.

Some IOs were - understandably - over-enthusiastic.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back