Kit Values

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ralph Haus

Tech Sergeant
Jul 24, 2016
Leander Texas
There has been a recent posting on my local Craig's List offering many unbuilt model kits. Many are aircraft, ships, and various military equipment. I have been communicating with the individuals family and have yet to get them to price any of the items; complete groupings or individual models? I will assume that they are waiting for offers? Thus my question. How does one fairly price/offer on any given model. Some, if researched as new purchases like on Amazon, are in the $40 to upwards of $80 range. I am still climbing through the list so I don't have a good feel for their complete 'retail' values. But what, in your opinions, would be a good starting offering range? Most likely in % of current retail value? I'm not really 'needing' any more shelf fillers, but I would hate to miss an opportunity to get a reasonable price as well.

I have been doing some research, and there are hundreds of models! So it's not going quickly. Many of the models are previous releases and the kit model numbers are not currently being offered on retail sites. Ebay is hit and miss. Fubar - I will go to your suggested site and see if I can find some. Perhaps I can derive a ratio of retail-to-offer prices based on what I can find.

Good advice from all here.

I would say it depends on the availability of the kit. A rare one can go for many times it's original value purely for that reason, regardless of quality of the moulding.

Agree with all to check E- bay etc for a general idea, aswell as asking here: myself and many others here would probably be able to tell you straight away how common a kit is, it's origins, and probably even a current fair price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back