KOKODA

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dec 9, 2005
Brazil
www.gavca.com
S!

Kokoda movie shows the Australian participation in the war.

Kokoda was arguably Australia's most significant campaign of the Second World War. More Australians died in the seven months of fighting in Papua, and the Japanese came closer to Australia than in any other campaign.

The Kokoda Track (or Kokoda Trail) fighting was some of the most desperate and vicious encountered by Australian troops in the Second World War. Although the successful capture of Port Moresby was never going to be precursor to an invasion of Australia, victory on the Kokoda Track did ensure that Allied bases in northern Australia, vital in the coming counter-offensive against the Japanese, would not be seriously threatened by air attack. Approximately 625 Australians were killed along the Kokoda Track and over 1,600 were wounded. Casualties due to sickness exceeded 4,000.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPJ9y0n2_rw

SP!

Too bad they didn't have M1 Garands... Man i'd hate to fight with a bolt action in ww2

Here's to the ANZACs :salute:

The Lee Enfield was a good rifle and in the hands of a skilled rifleman could be quite a weapon, however I do agree it was no M1. Remember though the Japanese were also equipped with bolt action rifles.

As an Aussie I understand the story of Kokoda and some of the stories originating from the fighting there are incredible. I couldnt possibly have any more respect for those who fought there.

The movie is also a very good watch in my opinion. It isn't a nice movie, however I think it accurately portrays the horrible fighting and intensity of the Kokoda campaign and explains the traditions of mateship that the track stands for.

At the time of the second world war and indeed i believe the Lee Enfield was the fastest bolt action rifle in the world to shoot and reload.....

As an australian i have heard heaps about Kokoda and have nothing but respect for the Australians who gave their lives so that we could continue to live.
I have not seen the movie Kokoda though is it good ????
Its not soppy is it???

Well Aussie its a brutal harsh look at fighting on the track. I found it sad and somewhat depressing because of its reality and brutal presentation of the war. If you want a gung ho glorified hero movie dont watch it, if you want a well made and brutal film about an important part of Australian history watch it!

Thats not to say its boring rofl plenty of action!

As an Aussie I am proud of the History of ANZAC. That includes Diggers fighting in PNG and up the Kokoda Track. It isn't a pretty movie nor is it Gung Ho. But neither was the reality of those battles on the Owen Stanley Ranges. What it does remember that Australians were fighting for their lives and their Country which at the time was under threat. There is something in Australian Mentality our US and UK friends don't know or fail to understand. We have always had a fear of the Yellow Horde Invasion (ASIAN). Its not something we can directly point to but when the Japanese came that close to Australia the realisation of those fears came about. We still have those fears but have transferred it to Indonesia and Islam now taking up the form of the Yellow Horde Asian Threat. (No Offense to you Sys of course as I know your wife comes from Indonesia so please do not take that as an offense to your good lady wife). Kokoda for us as Aussies ranks with Gallipoli in its importance to the Aussie mentality and our mindset. And before some one gets annoyed at me not mentioning help from the US when Britian couldn't supply the help we required in defeating the Japanese in PNG is never to far from our memories. We of course recognise the importance of the USA as our Allies during that part of history and we haven't forgotten it. But what does give us the shits is when some ignorant Americans think without knowledge that Australia depended whole heartily on the US without defending our homeland ourselves. We acknowledge the USA and still today we are the Allies of the USA but the benefit of having the USA as our Allies during WW2 was a 2 fold victory for us in Australia, 1 being the overall defense of Australia with US and Australians fighting alongside each other. 2 An friendship as Allies that has lasted for over 60 years. These are some of the things we carry from the Battles in the Pacific and Islands to our north and west in Australia. Kokoda symbolises this in Australians more then you would know. So most Americans have never heard of Kokoda. We can except that. But if we as Australians begin to forget Kokoda then we are in right strife in Australia as we are forgetting ourselves as Australians

Kokoda for us Australian's is indeed a very important battle. The conditions in which our blokes had to fight under were unbelieveable (old dug out Doug and Blamey's treatment of the soldiers fighting there was inexcusable). Not only were we outnumbered 10 to 1, but untried militia were up against the elite of jungle fighters. The fact that theses boys held off the Japanese thrust to Port Morseby should never be forgotten.
For anyone interested read the book "A bastard of a place" by Peter Brune, which not only covers the Kokoda campaign but also the important (and also largly forgotten) battles of Milne Bay, Buna, Gona and Sananda.

As an Aussie, Kokoda is more important to me than Gallipoli. I dont think it will ever be forgotton. Its becoming more and more well known every year. It has become almost as big as Gallipoli.

The pacific war in WW2 represented a shift from typical British- Commonwealth Australia to Americanised Australia. Britain was unable to offer the suppor that AUS needed in WW2 and turned to the US. We have be solid Allies ever since and a relationship that will hopefully continue. Many people in AUS view Australias involvement in wars such as Iraq as necessary to our security. Which is in my opinion not to far wrong.

Indonesian has a massive muslim populatiom and many Australians few this as a threat. As said above...ive nothing against our Asian neighbours.

I can only agree with what Wildcat and Watanbe have said about the Kokoda Campaign. Alongside Gallipoli it ranks as another milestone in Australia and is of the same importance to Australians. To those who are unsure what a Militia Battlions are they are the fore runner of what we know as the Army Reserve. In England they would be regarded as the Territorials and in the US National Guard etc. In other words weekend soldiery. They were known here in Australia as Chocko's or Chocolate Soldiers. It was not meant to be a name to flatter them I can assure you. The Australian Imperial Forces or the AIF were known as Rainbows. The Militia Battlions were not expected to engage with a well trained enemy such was ranged against them in Kokoda. But this is exactly what occured. Until the AIF arrived the Militia Battlions were all we had between the Japanese and them taking Port Moresby and then the Japanese threatening Australia etc. So you can imagine this Part Time Citizen Ill Equiped Militia Battlions fighting Japanese Troops and being pushed back across the Owen Stanley Mountains. In country that varied from thick jungle, monsoons, mud tracks no wider then a man's body. mountainous terrain. leaches mosquitos baring all kinds of maleria typhoid cholera and then having to fight the Japanese as well and being pushed back virtually in sight of Port Moresby was a feat of arms barely imaginable. I would dare say it was Australia's Stalingrad in comparison. With the arrival of the AIF Air Cover and support from the US Troops in other areas of PNG and US Aircraft. The Militia continued the ANZAC Tradtions even though they were not at the time thought highly off. But when news began to filter back to Australia of what the Militia had achieved attitudes changed towards them and most certainly the attitude of the AIF towards the Militia Battlions had changed to a more positive one then a negative as had been before Kokoda. In closing I have just a few words to say about the Militia and the AIF from Kokoda Campaign. LEST WE FORGET. YOU SACRIFICED YOUR TODAY. SO WE CAN HAVE OUR TOMORROW

Great post Emac44, having seen photos of the track and spoken to people who have done it...I can hardly imagine walking the track carrying huge amounts of equipment, even with little equipment you have to be very fit to complete it. Imagine fighting on it, battling sickness and lack of supplies...the terrain was very undulating (spelling sorry) and fighting was often very close and bitter.

Dont forget that the Japanese were highly skilled and motivated jungle fighters by this time.

On an aircaft note...spare a fought for the excellent close support roles provided by Australian pilots during the conflict...the CAC Boomerang despite being obsolete as a fighter earned quite a reputation in this role!

On an aircaft note...spare a fought for the excellent close support roles provided by Australian pilots during the conflict...the CAC Boomerang despite being obsolete as a fighter earned quite a reputation in this role!

The Boomerang didn't enter New Guinea until after the Kokoda campaign, however I couldn't agree more. Much like the work of the Wirraway and Vengeance crews, the daring and skill of these men unfortunately remain relatively unknown.

The Boomerang didn't enter New Guinea until after the Kokoda campaign, however I couldn't agree more. Much like the work of the Wirraway and Vengeance crews, the daring and skill of these men unfortunately remain relatively unknown.

yeh I wasnt sure if they did or not thanks for clearing that up. Yes I think to often with WW2 the fighter pilots and strategic bombing crews take a lot of the fame and other pilots become somewhat forgotten. But reading this topic makes me confident that the story will never be forgotten. I'm only 17 and plan on flying the flag high for next generation. Wildcat what did you think of the film?

I liked it, IMO it's the most realistic portrayal of the conditions faced in jungle warfare that I've seen on film. Not too many films show the results of dysantry (spelling?) and I liked how the enemy remained unseen for the most part, just like how it was.
Now if only some one would make a film about 75 squadrons defence of Port Moresby or a movie about Milne Bay.

thats exactly what I thought of the film...im glad it wasnt a sorta corny overdone action film...it made me feel uncomfortable...because of the approach it took it may have sacrificed some ratings or even critical acclaim but I think they did a good job and didnt cheapen the story of Kokoda which would have angered me. :p

I liked it, IMO it's the most realistic portrayal of the conditions faced in jungle warfare that I've seen on film. Not too many films show the results of dysantry (spelling?) and I liked how the enemy remained unseen for the most part, just like how it was.
Now if only some one would make a film about 75 squadrons defence of Port Moresby or a movie about Milne Bay.

Agreed Wildcat, I thought it was good portray of the events and the hardships the Aussies faced on the trail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back