Konzentrationslager Auschwitz

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nuuumannn

Major
Oct 12, 2011
Nelson
Being the 75th anniversary of the camp's liberation recently, I thought I would share some images I took during a visit 18 years ago. They are scans of 35mm film prints, so aren't the clearest.

The entrance to Auschwitz I, the former Polish artillery barracks to the south of Oświęcim, and the infamous sign at the entrance to the camp. Auschwitz was originally established as a labour camp for the I G Farben synthetics factory at Dwory three miles from the barracks.

49452572753_187cfb9ec6_b.jpg
Auschwitz I 01

The inmates lived in squalor, with over a hundred crammed into these small rooms at a time, with no furniture of any sort.

49457001083_bcf3aab702_b.jpg
Auschwitz I 04

Zyklon B was manufactured by I G Farben and was originally used as rat poison. Auschwitz didn't become an extermination camp until the construction of what became Auschwitz II at Brzezinka, Birkenau to the Germans.

49457001013_6f12919730_b.jpg
Auschwitz I 06

After the construction of the Birkenau site, Auschwitz I was where prisoners other than factory workers and those to be exterminated were kept. Political prisoners, even POWs found themselves here.

49457000878_72db839c74_b.jpg
Auschwitz I 09

Causes of death were manifold and punishment was severe - gallows.

49457000693_6f00d5021a_b.jpg
Auschwitz I 14

Disposal of the dead was always a problem at the KLs and the camp furnace was too small to meet demand.

49453053216_31e24a2609_b.jpg
Auschwitz I 17

Auschwitz II Birkenau was purpose built and was an enormous site. It's sole purpose was as a sorting and extermination camp. The entrance through the guardhouse.

49457471221_a68a55ac02_b.jpg
Auschwitz II 01

Inmates arrived by rail to be sorted for the factory site, Auschwitz III Monowitz at Dwory, or for extermination in the gas chambers at the end of the railway line, since demolished.

49457000318_0f09b4e2f5_b.jpg
Auschwitz II 04

For those unfortunate enough to be selected for housing at Auschwitz II, life was dreadful and disease was rife. Toward the end of the war the disposal furnaces were working overtime to keep up with demand. Many of the buildings were pulled down because of disease, but some remain.

49457706132_3c0098ecf1_b.jpg
Auschwitz II 07

The ruins of the gas chambers. This was one of the 'shower' rooms. Inmates were herded into here for what they thought was for a shower, after leaving their possessions in piles in the entrance. There were nozzles that resembled shower heads from where the Zyklon B emanated. Death was slow and agonising and often there were survivors in immense pain struggling for breath amid the piles of bodies.

49457705987_552301c171_b.jpg
Auschwitz II 11

The memorial stone on the site of the gas chambers.

49452572633_5e71c0a92d_b.jpg
Auschwitz II 12

Looking due east toward the guardhouse, the factory site at Dwory can be seen in the distance. Originally I G Farben Buna Werke, ther factory made synthetic rubber for the German war machine, the factory was never closed down after liberation and reopened to manufacture synthetic fuels eight months later in September 1945. it is still in action today as Synthos Chemical Technologies.

49452572643_c1ff5124ee_b.jpg
Auschwitz II 13

49452572658_563b6acd95_b.jpg
Auschwitz II 15

More images here: Konzentrationslager Auschwitz

Thanks for looking.

I've seen pictures of these things in books but somehow the images are more.........haunting or disturbing.....not sure of the right word, when shown by someone you know (even if just through a forum )somehow. At least for me.

Been to Bergen - Belsen, back in the early 1970's, and that was a bad enough experience. Don't think I could visit Auschwitz. Just two months ago, the father of a friend died - he was a bit of a tancankerous old git, though still likeable, but he had survived Auschwitz, and still bore the number tatoo.

There's a new (?) PBS documentary about bombing Auschwitz with actor portrayals and current commentary, though I've only seen a portion.

It's a complex subject on many levels, of course, including technical, operational, and political. Apparently the preferred method was to bomb the gas chambers and crematoria, forcing a halt in "processing" victims. The other was to bomb the rail lines leading to the complex.

Neither, IMO, was a realistic option. Unless Mosquitos were able to pull another Amiens-jail-type raid, there was absolutely no way for "precision" high-level bombing to destroy the chambers and/or crematoria without massive collateral damage/deaths. In researching the 15th AF book I found that sometimes less than half of the bombs aimed at refineries hit anywhere within the perimeter.

As for rail lines, apparently few commentators realize two things: RRs are notoriously resistant to bombing, and with enough manpower they're easily repaired.

Even assuming that bombing could've achieved such goals, there does not seem any reason to assume that the Holocaust would have been seriously impeded. As it was, the SS dug pits in open countryside and just shot people. Not as efficient as death camps, but still an option for the Nazis entirely beyond Allied ability to stop.

I visited Auschwitz-Birkenau sometime in the early 1980s. It was when Solidarity was threatening the Polish regime and for some reason the regime allowed a British pop group for whom I worked (it was Kajagoogoo if you must know) into the country. We drove to the camp complex from Katowice. It is hard to put the experience into words.
Your photographs certainly bring those memories back.

Chilling. Really not proud to be part of whatever genus our particular hairless monkeys belong to right now...:cry2:

The real beginning of Solidarnosc... :)

They didn't last long!
They did have on really talented musician in Nick Beggs. I bumped into him last year when he was playing with 'progger' Steven Wilson. I thought it best not to mention the olden days :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back