La-5 Vs. 109

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

plan_D

Lieutenant Colonel
Apr 1, 2004
Has anyone got any decent comparisons between the La-5 and Bf-109E?
Pictures of both would be nice too...

...thanks in advance. 8)

.................and some La-5 Pics:

2242.jpg

oth190_4.jpg

Hot Space

Well i dunno about the lesson, but Russia made some good fighters:

Lavochkin La-7
Yakovlev Yak-3
Yakovlev Yak-9

The La-5 was also quite good, but not really outstanding. There were early MiG's too, although the MiG-3 was pretty hopeless. There was also the Polikarpov I-16 in the early years, which was one of the first "modern" fighters. Despite being bettered by the German fighters, German pilots were told on occasions to stay away from them as theyd been used extremely well against the Germans and somehow shot down many 109's! Russia also favoured the use of P-39's, Alex Pokryshin, Russias second leading ace, scored many of his 59 kills in one. They also used P-63 later on in the war.

They also produced the IL-2 Sturmovik, possibly the best ground attack aircraft of the war. They also had a couple of good multi-role planes, the Petylyakov Pe-8 and the Tupolev Tu-2.

Sorry I cant go into more detail, but if any of these planes take your fancy just ask and ill do some more research on it for ya 8)

cheddar cheese said:
They also produced the IL-2 Sturmovik, possibly the best ground attack aircraft of the war. They also had a couple of good multi-role planes, the Petylyakov Pe-8 and the Tupolev Tu-2.

Well Pe-8 (TB7) was quite interesting plane. 4 engines with a enormous supercharger in the fuselage, 2000 kg of bombs.
There were only 79 of them. Majority was equipped with radial engines M 82 and not with AM 35 (later AM38) as on most photos.
These planes participated in several air raids (if you can call a flight of 6-7 planes on Berlin or Budapest an air raid...).
Funny thing, during one of those "air raids" on 12th August 1941 they dropped their bombs on Berlin and during the flight home the Soviet AAA's shot at them damaging several planes.
The most famous sortie was a journey of Minister Molotov to Scotland in November 1941 and to Washington in may 1942.

Tu2 was really a good plane, only good russian bomber used in significant numbers during the war.

Many claim that also Pe2 was good, but in fact it was junk. It didn't fit any of the planned roles neither as a fighter nor as a bomber.

When the il2 is concerned, I have very sceptical view on this plane. Of course it was called a concrete plane, etc, but in fact it was very vulnerable (especially its radiator). Apart from that the engines used in Sturmovik, AM 38 was a complete failure. It was, how tu say it, single use engine due to its tendence to overheat.

Heres a shot of a TB-7 taken from the book "Soviet Combat Aircraft of the Second World War. Volume Two: Twin-Engined Fighters, Attack Aircraft and Bombers" by Yefim Gordon, Dmitri Khazanov and Alexander Medved'.

Attachments

• tb7_440.jpg
    tb7_440.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 949
impressive birdie:)
It would be nice to find a pic of TB7 with radial engines. I cannot find it anywhere.
BTW several TB7 planes were used in Arctic after the war. They were supplying Soviet scientific camps there. They had very "high-visibility" painting - wholy orange :lol:

Here you are, but as for now only a screenshot from FB

Attachments

• pe8_20scr1_20_2__949.jpg
    pe8_20scr1_20_2__949.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 746

Users who are viewing this thread

Back