Label from a B-17G to be identified

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

seesul

Senior Master Sergeant
Hello,

from which part of a B-17G is this label?
B-17G , ser. No. 43-37863.

Attachments

• label_to_be_identified_res.jpg
    label_to_be_identified_res.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 234
Great stuff Joe. Don't you just love this forum for the knowledge, assistance and quick response?!
I guess that's another piece from the crash sites from the Augst 29th air battle Roman?

Roman - that is off a Briggs (Later Briggs and Stratton) engine used as an auxiliary power unit on the B-17.

Hi Joe,
a former flight enginner from 97th BG told me following:
Roman...Sorry, that part number is not listed in the Illustrated Parts Breakdown...about all I can do is tell you, that it would have something to do with aircraft structure, and related hardware, and sub-assemblies...one of the 75 series has to do with the actual wing structure.....but, I cannot tell from this part number as it is not listed. As I explained, the major drawing will start with a 15-...from there it will go to another breakout, and the 75- has to do with some special bolts, parts of the wing flap actuating, and the like.

As to the G over riding the F, this would have to do with the late F aircraft being converted to the G configuration, with the addition of the chin turret, as there were several Fs converted to the Gs, I understand in the 8th AAF, with the addition of the chin turret in England, for those aircraft with the structure added as explained in the next paragraph, below.

Essentially, the F and G were identical, except that some Fs were prepared for the addition of the chin turret, but with out the actual chin turret...The Flyng Fortress Story by Roger Freeman, shows B-17F-130-BO 42-30932 to "42-31031", Reinforcement of lower nose for chin turret added, Then goes on with B17G BO "42-31032" to 42-31131...Bendix Chin Turret,new plexiglass nose - - - NOTE...last F was 42-31031 and first G was 42-31032.

Jim :)

Wow Roman, where do you get all this stuff from? You have to have enough by now to build your own plane :lol:

Very cool Joe, I had no idea they carried them.

Great stuff Joe. Don't you just love this forum for the knowledge, assistance and quick response?!
I guess that's another piece from the crash sites from the Augst 29th air battle Roman?

Hello, no, it´s not from August 29,1944 but from Sept. 11,1944.
Museum 11.9.1944 - History of the air battle on September 11th, 1944
and the label was posted here Kulomety z U. S. bombardéru???

That looks like the ID tag off a wing flap. This tag would be on the outside of the end rib of the flap, only the bottom of the flap was skinned and the ribs were exposed. In fact the whole aft part of the wing is pretty light weight, more of a fairing than structure. The only systems in the trailing edge were the flap motor and remote compass. The main spars are even with the front and back of the bomb bay.Many parts like this were sub contracted out, the nacelles of the one I worked on were made by a bicycle company (I can't remember which one).

That looks like the ID tag off a wing flap. This tag would be on the outside of the end rib of the flap, only the bottom of the flap was skinned and the ribs were exposed. In fact the whole aft part of the wing is pretty light weight, more of a fairing than structure. The only systems in the trailing edge were the flap motor and remote compass. The main spars are even with the front and back of the bomb bay.Many parts like this were sub contracted out, the nacelles of the one I worked on were made by a bicycle company (I can't remember which one).

Why would a "Briggs" label be on a wing flap? During WW2 Briggs made small engines and APUs and did not do any structrual subcontract work, the only thing they did was small engines.

You can find it on a subcontractor component's list.

Last edited:
Hi Joe,
a former flight enginner from 97th BG told me following:
Roman...Sorry, that part number is not listed in the Illustrated Parts Breakdown...about all I can do is tell you, that it would have something to do with aircraft structure, and related hardware, and sub-assemblies...one of the 75 series has to do with the actual wing structure.....but, I cannot tell from this part number as it is not listed. As I explained, the major drawing will start with a 15-...from there it will go to another breakout, and the 75- has to do with some special bolts, parts of the wing flap actuating, and the like.

As to the G over riding the F, this would have to do with the late F aircraft being converted to the G configuration, with the addition of the chin turret, as there were several Fs converted to the Gs, I understand in the 8th AAF, with the addition of the chin turret in England, for those aircraft with the structure added as explained in the next paragraph, below.

Essentially, the F and G were identical, except that some Fs were prepared for the addition of the chin turret, but with out the actual chin turret...The Flyng Fortress Story by Roger Freeman, shows B-17F-130-BO 42-30932 to "42-31031", Reinforcement of lower nose for chin turret added, Then goes on with B17G BO "42-31032" to 42-31131...Bendix Chin Turret,new plexiglass nose - - - NOTE...last F was 42-31031 and first G was 42-31032.

Jim :)

Roman - it's not in the IPC because its a subcontracted component.

I have 2 APU's in my garage that I will check when I get back to the states. Still, it looks just like the ID tag on the Flaps. I will take pics of both when I can.

I have 2 APU's in my garage that I will check when I get back to the states. Still, it looks just like the ID tag on the Flaps. I will take pics of both when I can.

Please do. It is possible that Boeing, Lockheed or Douglas could have had flaps outsourced whiles building B-17s but I don't see any indication that Briggs (Briggs and Straton) ever got into the airframe business.

Last edited:
Flap would be 75-5127. See attached breakdown. We got one label like this (attached).
Unfortunately, 75-4808-.... is not incuded in this breakdown...

Attachments

• flap.jpg
    flap.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 164
  • subassembly1.jpg
    subassembly1.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 154
  • subassembly2.jpg
    subassembly2.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread