Lancaster Carburettor

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crippen said:
Let me see now:
The Lancaster.... narrr! no explanation required (maybe post a couple of pics though). She is 'strong' 'reliable' 'has wonderful body work' 'is both classic yet decisively individual' and is loved by many. If anyone out there does not love her.... they blooming well should ;) else be it their loss :rolleyes:

I do not love it, but I respect it 8)

B-29 on the other hand...

Rolls Royce Merlins and their Carburetors

Mk.XX

SU AVT40/214 (RAE Anti-G type)

Mk.22

SU AVT40/216 (RAE Anti-G type)

Mk.24

Same as Mk.22 but with modified supercharger and boost control to permit 18lb/sq.in. boost rating.

T.24-2

same as Mk.22 mofified for civillan use.

Packard built Merlins.

Merlin 28

Bendix PD-16B1

Merlin 38

As above

Merlin 224

As for Merlin 28

Production Locations Mk.1

A.V. Roe factories
Newton Heath, Manchester
Yeadon, Yorkshire
Trafford Park
Factory at an unknown location

Armstrong Whitworth
Whitley, Coventry

Vickers Armstrong
Castle, Bromwich
Chester

Austin Motors
Longbridge, Birmingham

8 factories produced Mk.1 Lancasters.

What is wrong with it?

Attachments

• 2ndcrew514sqdrnraf.jpg
    2ndcrew514sqdrnraf.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 75
My mistake.

Option 2 for clear vision from rear turret 75 Sqn (RNZAF) Lancaster

Pic 1 shows the Mk.X from Canada.

This one is from 75 Sqn (RNZAF) and is a Mk.1

Visible difference is the complete lack of the armour plate added to protect the gunner.

Funny how instead of cutting the whole perspex window out and leaving the poor sod to freeze completely, the Kiwis made a SLIDING section for clear view.

Smart buggers them Kiwi's.

Also note the line running up and back from the lower right hand corner of the turret. What is it?

Attachments

• justforlanc.jpg
    justforlanc.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 73
sorry I'd forgotten about this thread :lol:

and how'd we get onto the rear turrets? all that is to be said is that many different gunners "customized" their turrets with regards to their vision panels, some removed them completely, others cut them in half it was up to the gunner really, and which line do you mean? maybe you can circle it or something like that?

RE the production, me asking you to re-think was partly due to me being pedantic as the RAF used roman numerals up to and including Mk.XX, then reverted to Arabic numerals, so it should be the lancaster Mk.I, not Mk.1

next there are some mistakes with your list, this is the "Lancaster Consortium" or "Lancaster Group", either is acceptable, and they were responsible for the production of lancasters, lead, of course, by A.V.Roe Company Limited, the factories in the group that produced the Mk.I were as follows

Avro-
Chadderton (including the Woodford site)
Yeadon

Metropolitan-Vickers-
Trafford Park

Austin Aero Limited-
Longbridge

Vickers-Armstrong Limited-
Castle Bromwich
Chester

Armstrong Whitworth Aircraft Limited-
Coventry

the Woodford site was not considered a manufacturing site by the group, it was first and formost an assembly plant for lancasters, so seven factories produced the Mk.I..........

It appears that the turret in the first image had a sliding perspex panel at one time, but then that portion of the perspex was then removed completely.

The line in question is the flexible oxygen hose coming from the oxygen economiser mounted on the outside of the armour plate. The gunner would have connected his oxygen mask to the opposite end of this hose.

Regards,
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back