Lancaster crash site Plochingen

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jupiter

Airman
Apr 17, 2008
Hi guys a new challenge.
My grandfathers Lancaster LM546 crashed in a wooded area in Plochingen near motorway 10, after being shot down 28/29/7/44 on a raid over Stuttgart.
All the crew bailed out and survived.
Despite contacting agencies in Stuttgart i am no nearer any more information.
The only link i have is a mention in the book Stuttgart im Luftkrieg.
There must be someone in Germany who can help.
I have drawn blanks so far, i bet there is someone in Plochingen who knows.
Pete:p

Pete, why don't you try a new thread with all the questions you want answered in the "Aviation" section. Some members don't really look in the "Basic" section and you might get a better response from everybody. I would get all the facts you have and a set of questions together and see how it goes.

Yeah well one thing for sure is that hes been through alot of sites trying to find information. I think this is gonna be my biggest test yet

How can I help? I know where Plochingen is. It is near where my family lives (aprox. 20 minutes).

I am not sure when I can get a chance to go down to that area, I do not live near Stuttgart anymore.

How can I help? I know where Plochingen is. It is near where my family lives (aprox. 20 minutes).

I am not sure when I can get a chance to go down to that area, I do not live near Stuttgart anymore.

Hi Kris,

in such cases I always ask Bürgemeister (mayor) of the town for their chronicle...if there´s a crash mentioned in it I´m sure there will be also some eye witnesses in surrounding area...
I´ve visited close towns of the crash sites here several times and when the people got to know that I have a historical interest more and more eye witnesses appeared at once...
The local elder people remember a lot but no questions- no answers...8)

Thanks for your interest people.
Sorry for posting in wrong place but my previous questions have been so successful here.
I guess i want to known if the actual location of the crash is known , possible visit in the future.
Is there any local records or eye wittness accounts?
Ive tried record departments in Stuttgart but drawn a blank.
Only lead is the mention in the book.
Contacting the Burgmister is a good idea , though my lack of German hinders me in this.
Ill post this in the Aviation section as well
pete:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back