Lessons learned - hopefully

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tigerdriver

Staff Sergeant
Sep 20, 2010
Norwich UK
www.seloc.org
Well i have totally massacred a poor undeserving 1/48 tamiya Spit ... and am about to embark on my next crime against you guys' hobby lol

i have a 1/48 hurricane to ruin next ....

few really dumb things i seem to have learned

1 . Kits dont seem to be made for assembly in wheel up mode ?

2. Little fiddly bits like antennae seem best attached with superglue, or they fall off and vanish

3. I cant paint ( see questions in the relevant sub forum)

Wish me luck lol

Nobody says the modelling is a piece of cake. So what kind of help do you need? Of course, apart from the Good Luck wishes.

1. Often true as the covers and wing skin tend to be too thick for the scale. Thinning both by sanding may be required

2. True, and it's best to leave these to the very end of your build to minimize mishaps when handling.

3. We all couldn't paint at one time. Some of us still can't. I screwed up the Future coat on part of my Spit I last night, had to remove and redo. You didn't see that in my pictures. Painting skills come with practice so don't get discouraged. It's easy to give up but worht it when you see yourself getting better.

Yeah I got a shelf of shame myself, bunch of kits that I royally screwed-up and just didn't have the heart to continue. Funny thing is, now that I have a little experience under my belt I'm looking at some of them thinking, "you know, I could totally fix that..."

When I started modelling the idea was to produce something you could throw out of the bedroom window onto the lawn in flames ....times have sure changed

When I started modelling the idea was to produce something you could throw out of the bedroom window onto the lawn in flames ....times have sure changed

Yeah that's what we used to do as kids. We would build a model airplane but after it had sat on the shelf for a few months and we had gotten new kits, we took the old planes, put firecrackers in them and chucked them out the window. It was fun to watch them blow up in mid-air. Needless to say our parents didn't invest a whole lot of money buying us kits. :p

there you go spitfire of shame

Attachments

• IMAG0015.jpg
    IMAG0015.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 145
for sure though my lack of skills is a bit frustrating

have started faffing with an airfix 1/48 hurricane now ...

just a case of getting some build hours in and getting through the bottom of the (re) learning curve

i may have nightmares about canopy masking tonight lol

Not too many details can be seen in the pic above. However the model assembling seems to be done correct. You might be not too happy with colours of the camo and decal markings.But it hasn't been caused by the lack of skills. I think your mistakes were made because of the lack of some researching for rules and ways of painting and marking of aircraft during a proper period of time.

Not too many details can be seen in the pic above. However the model assembling seems to be done correct. You might be not too happy with colours of the camo and decal markings.But it hasn't been caused by the lack of skills. I think your mistakes were made because of the lack of some researching for rules and ways of painting and marking of aircraft during a proper period of time.

i lost a bit of motivation time the decals came round

onwards and upwards:idea:

dude, thats a fine model! As far as wheels up, I also was lazy about doing wheels and so when I got my cabinet to display them, I got suction hooks and some thread and they hang inside the display.

Every model that I've completed and looked back on with disdain comes back to one thing - I rushed.
Don't be too hard on yourself. Build a kit, have fun doing it, learn and build another kit. This is supposed to be fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back