Let's see your bomber vs. bomber battles

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wild_Bill_Kelso

Senior Master Sergeant
Mar 18, 2022
1654366286757.jpeg

There are a few famous bomber vs bomber battles, a few with photographs I think everyone knows that account of a B-24 (?) which encountered a mighty H8K 'Emily' flying boat, her crew apparently asleep at the wheel, and shot her down with a few blasts from a turret gun. There is a sequence of photos from it. I have also read of duel between an even more mighty BV-222 and a PB4Y way out in the Bay of Biscay or somewhere, in which the latter was shot down. And I also remember SBD "Dauntless' aircraft being pressed into service as emergency CAP during some of the carrier battles in the Solomon's and tangling with D3A and B5N (and far more perilously, A6Ms, the success of a certain "Swede" notwithstanding). These are all kind of famous and stand out as unusual scenarios... but how unusual were they really?

One thing I noticed when reading the day to day combat histories in the Pacific was that these bomber vs. bomber encounters seemed to be a bit more frequent than I had ever realized. The recently released micro-history "South Pacific Air War - Volume 5" has about a half dozen such encounters just between September and December 1942. Here are a couple of them which I hadn't ever heard of which you might find amusing.

Page 108: B-25s vs G4M
"The daily reconnaissance of the Buna-Lae-Finschhafen -Gamata area was flown by six 90th BS B-25s led by Captain Raymond Peterson. At 1515 these encountered a single Betty which had just departed Lae. Immediately upon sighting the Mitchells it descended to sea-level where a fight commenced with the Mitchels some ten miles east of Finschhafen. The Betty was well defended by it's 20mm tail gunner who damaged Peterson's Mitchell, blowing the liferaft out of it's hatch and shattering one his fins. The Mithcell breifly gyrated to a degree Peterson's wingmen were convinced he was going to crash, however he soon regained control once the flapping raft had been secured. Some 2100 x 0.50 inch rounds were fired from the B-25s and despite many hits to the Betty it stayed airborne."

This was also fairly typical - that both Japanese and American aircraft sustained multiple hits and didn't go down. I'm guessing "armor-piercing-incendiary" ammunition for the .50 wasn't available yet maybe? Or it's just that planes are big and it's not as easy to start a fire as we sometimes assume, even when they don't have self-sealing tanks.

Page 145 D3A + A6M vs B-26
"At 1000 hours the Vals and Zeros tangled with five B-26s from the 2nd and 9th Bombardment Squadrons that were bombing and strafing Gona mission. One B-26 received minor damage, while one Val was damaged and ditched on its flight back to Rabaul - the crew were rescueed. The remainder of the No. 582 Ku aircraft returned to Rabaul at 1230."

Kind of unusual, but not unheard of that the Japanese managed to rescue downed crew.7

Page 188 B-24 vs A6M + G4M
"The [6] Zeros and the first Betty encountered a lone Liberator 82 miles north-northwest of Madang at 1155. The Liberator crew reported being attacked by five Zeros and one Betty, in fact flown by Lieutenant (jg) Kitazawa Kichinosuke. Two and a half hours later, another Liberator battled Zeros and a Betty in a position 86 north-northeast of Madang. This was the B-24 which bombed the convoy unsuccessfully at 1425, as noted above.

During this encounter the B-24 crew claimed a Betty as destroyed. This bomber was flown by FCPO Konnno Harumi which indeed was hit by the Liberator's gunfire and damaged, wounding two crew. Kouno subsequently ditched safely near Cape Lambert, not far from Vunakanau,. The crew came ashore and was collected by vehicle two days later and driven to Rabaul, before being flown back to their base at Kavieng."

Another rescued crew. It is also quite routine that even small numbers of B-17s, B-24s, B-25s, Hudsons and A-20s seemed to be able to fend off numbers of A6Ms, almost on a daily basis by December.

So I find these bomber vs bomber encounters very interesting, I know there are a few more in that book but those are the ones I marked while reading it. If you have any anecdotes of bombers fighting bombers (with or without fighters in the mix) I'd love to read them!

Oh no, I think that's close enough. Any details? I think this might be in one of the Mediterranean Air War volumes (or another similar incident maybe)

B-17 vs H6K

A similar encounter is described from the other side

B-24 vs two F 200

I think there are threads in this forum about such battles.

The war diary of AIRSOPACFOR for Jan - Feb 1943 entry for 2 Feb 1943 lists an encounter between a PBY and a 4 engine flying boat at 1045 L, lasting 25 minutes. It also lists a combat between a B-26 and a 4 engine flying boat resulting in damage to the B-26, but doesn't give a time.
Japanese records list encounters on the first and third that seem to correspond to these contacts.
The Japanese report for February 1st describes an engagement between a H6K and a PBY lasting 30 minutes resulting in light damage to both aircraft.
The Japanese report on the 3rd describes an H6K attacked twice by a "large aircraft", the Mavis later crashing short of its base. 4 killed.
This latter encounter is a perfect match for the engagement reported by Cpt John Sharp, 70th BS, flying B-26B 41-17562 "Miss Cookie Lee" on an armed recon out of Guadalcanal. He reported making two passes at a Mavis knocking out two engines and causing other damage before suffering a 20mm hit in the wing leading edge. He broke off and returned to base, the Mavis being reported to crash by coastwatchers.

Thanks to Shinpachi for the Japanese reports.

There were many fights between the Ju88 fighters and Coastal Command aircraft of all types. Halifax's, Wellingtons, Hampdens, B24's, B17's Sunderland's and Transport DC3's. Also of course against the Beaufighter's and later Mosquito's that were sent out to intercept them.

Strongly recommend Bloody Biscay by Chris Goss which is the history of the German units tasked with clearing Coastal Command from the Bay of Biscay.

That's right, Adrian Warburton made Ace flying Marylands out of Malta. I think mostly against float planes and such, but still pretty neat. I love that guy he was such a character.

Another famous duel, Major "Squeek" Burnett, General Doolittle's personal pilot, was making a supply run from 12 AF headquarters in North Africa to Gibraltar in the general's personal B-26B, when he was attacked by a pair of Ju 88s. He dodged one and the other was shot down. (This story could be apocryphal.)

Thread about the heavies versus heavies here:

Another famous duel, Major "Squeek" Burnett, General Doolittle's personal pilot, was making a supply run from 12 AF headquarters in North Africa to Gibraltar in the general's personal B-26B, when he was attacked by a pair of Ju 88s. He dodged one and the other was shot down. (This story could be apocryphal.)

Quite interesting! That one really diserves to be run down and verified if possible, if it's real it's absolutely epic. On the flip side there is an account in MAW of a unit of Ju-88 (probably C type / heavy fighters) ambushing some P-38s over the Med while on a long flight from England and shooting several of them down. IIRC the P-38s only had 50 rounds of ammunition and were of course heavily laden with fuel and extra tanks, and weren't expecting to be attacked. I think one of them landed in Portugal and got interned? I'll have to go see if I can find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back