Lockheed XP-58 Chain Lightning? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Nerd

Airman
Sep 14, 2005
Snohomish Washinton
hey, im looking for info on the Lockheed XP-58 Chain Lightning, like what is it, what was it used for, and so on. Any pics would be awsome.

A google search found this:

The site offers a model if you want one

http://www.anigrand.com/AA2038xp-58.html

AA2038xp-58real4.jpg

AA2038xp-58real1.jpg

In 1940, Lockheed and USAAF reached an agreement that Lockheed was enable to sell the P-38 to England and France, with responsibility for designing a more advanced version of P-38 for US needs. The configuration of this advanced lightning was similar to P-38, central cabin between twin engine-buried booms but larger sized and more powerful armaments. The designation XP-58 Chain Lightning was given to the project. The original design was a single seat pursuit airplane, then requested to change into a double seats attacker, then into a bomber, and then into a tank buster, and finally into a bomber destroyer. The power-plants and armament configurations were also kept changing until 1943. The XP-58 prototype were finally rolled out and made its first flight in June 1944 after 4 years its design was begun. After completed 25 test flights in 1945, the XP-58 program was cancelled not only by the engine problems, but also USAAF had no further needs for the bomber destroyers.

A site about the completed model

http://modelingmadness.com/scotts/allies/us/xp58.htm

xp58g.jpg

xp58e.jpg

xp58h.jpg

Okay, they just looked so similar that I just assumed that the XP-58 Chain Lightning used the same airframe and parts as the P-38 Lightning except for engines...

Anyone ever see the Smithsonian Air Space magazine that published a pic of an USAAC P-38 with modified armament that included something like 12 .50BMGs or some such. I apologize that I cannot recall the magazine month/year, but I want to say it was about 2-3 years ago maybe? It was a one of a kind that was a personal airplane of some high-up-mucky-muck. Reminded me instantly of the XP-58.

Due to the number of times the AAF changed their minds on what engine was to go in it, and the amount of re-design required, Kelly Johnson referred to it as the world's only 10 engined fighter.

I actually have quite a bit of photographic information on this beast. At the next conjunction of time and memory I will post. Got an interesting picture of the jump seat behind the pilot from the museum at Edwards AFB.

I actually have quite a bit of photographic information on this beast. At the next conjunction of time and memory I will post. Got an interesting picture of the jump seat behind the pilot from the museum at Edwards AFB.

I knew two people who worked on it while it was being flight tested. From what I remember they told me it was a maintenance nightmare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back