Looking for information about my great-grandfather Sgt John Charles Webber, Navigator, 61 Squadron

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jackgemma

Recruit
1
2
Aug 16, 2026
Hello everyone,

I'm researching the wartime service of my great-grandfather, Sgt John Charles Webber, who served as a navigator with 61 Squadron, RAF Bomber Command, flying Lancaster bombers from RAF Skellingthorpe.

I've been trying to piece together as much of his story as possible from family photographs, documents and records, and I'm hoping that people here with knowledge of 61 Squadron or Bomber Command might be able to help.

One of the aircraft associated with his crew was Lancaster LM718, and I'm particularly interested in finding out more about the aircraft, the crew and the operations they flew.

I'm looking for any information that might help me build a more complete picture of his service, including:

  • Photographs of John or his crew
  • Crew photographs or identification
  • Information about Lancaster LM718
  • Operational records or reports
  • Logbooks or personal accounts
  • Information about 61 Squadron at RAF Skellingthorpe
  • Any information about John's time as a navigator
  • Family members or descendants of his fellow crew members

I have some original family material and photographs myself, and I'm very keen to preserve his story and learn as much as I can about the men he served alongside.

If anyone recognises the name John Charles Webber, Lancaster LM718, or has researched this particular crew or 61 Squadron, I would be extremely grateful to hear from you.

I'm also very happy to share the photographs and information I have if it might help someone else with their own research.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and for keeping the stories of these crews alive.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back