Lt. Witold Łanowski P-47M?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
54,683
39,948
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Are they still arguing about she being black or dark blue?

IMG_20260427_151611.jpg


IMG_20260427_151633.jpg


IMG_20260427_151346.jpg


IMG_20260427_151042.jpg


IMG_20260427_150714.jpg


IMG_20260427_145700.jpg


IMG_20260427_150749.jpg


IMG_20260427_145733.jpg


IMG_20260427_145804.jpg


IMG_20260427_150050.jpg


IMG_20260427_150226.jpg


IMG_20260427_150432.jpg


IMG_20260427_151859.jpg


I have these decals btw....hence the question. 🤨🤔
 
Freeman listed the color as dark purple in one of his books.

Here are some earlier observations:

Posted to HyperScale, 8 November 2003>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The whole "plum" P-47 story surfaced here on HyperScale on November 17, 1999. Gregg Cooper posted the following (retyped by me, since I only have a hard copy printout:

"This is second-hand info as related to me by a friend of a Wolfpack crew chief. (I know, I know, but it is a good story...)

"Anyway, The 56th was visited by some big-wigs in the US automobile industry, maybe Chrysler.

"When asked if there was anything that they could do for the Wolfpack pilots, the pilots responded with a request for some automotive paint that they were fond of. The color was a deep 'plumb', a dark reddish blue.

"The paint was delivered, and made its way onto some very intersesting airplanes.

"In B&W, the color photographs very dark.

"There is some color movie footage, and quite a lot of color film prints out there that will show this color. Again, though, any photography from this period is suspect of course. I will attempt to put more proof to this tale, and will let you know. Anyone else out there ever hear of this one?"

----------------------

So, that's all I know, could be true, could be rumor, could be an out-and-out lie. But it sure sounds cool, and I'm going to love building a purple P-47M if I ever get a chance to build again!

Cheers,

-Dana

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Following response from HyperScale:
Piotr Dmitruk plum color Sat Nov 8 14:51:11 2003 213.25.15.62 Lanowski himself said, that his aircraft was painted in plum color, just like his car was. It's possible also for Gladych's aircraft. But instructions for Techmod decals claim for using Humbrol 189 (Insignia Blue). Lower surfaces were in NMF with highly polished leading edges for adding speed, and as I can recall- without underwing bomb pylons. HTH Greetings Piotr

<><><><>

The argument may never be settled for all modelers, but that leaves more possibilities when you make your own choice. (I mixed a batch of purple many decades ago, but never finished the kit...)

Cheers,


Dana
 
Actually the colour isn't any standard paint it it is quite difficult to find the correct tone using these reference charts.


The main problem with the "plum" tone is that the fruit has a kind of "matt" bluish coating while growing on branches. It is usually weraing/wipping down with hands when the plums are picked leaving irregular bluish tinge. For the reason the Humbrol 189 was suggested. IMHO the best way for getting the colour would be a mix of blue and red paints with maybe , some of a black colour.

sw4.jpg
 
My understanding is that the aircraft was painted in dull black on the upper surface (a color similar to the C125 in the Mr. Color by Gunze). The Microscale decal kit also shows it this way, based on information from the three pilots we were able to speak with, as well as photos provided by Lanowki's son (Kris) where the color is very clearly visible.
Source: P-47 Thunderbolt - 56th FG - Color Help Questions (I had this page saved as a reference for mine.)
tcpacheco-180614-5b22c1cd7335c-1.jpg
5ZfpssZ.jpg
sfCm4jL.jpg


I also have two photos to show the wear and tear the plane had when I assemble the one I have now...
k4u1YWc.jpg
MnasbH6.jpg
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back