lube on prop shafts?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Trebor

Master Sergeant
Feb 15, 2008
KCLS
do you guys apply a bit of lube on the prop shafts of your models? I've thost of applying a bit of WD-40 or petroleum jelly to the prop shafts of my prop birds, but I never did it.

My question would be a simple WHY? My models are static displays, on a glass shelf in a glass display cabinet. They don't move unless there is an earthquake.
Do you intend to mount an electric motor to spin them?

I'd be concerned that a lubricant would attack the polystyrene

If it's an absolute must to have the props spin freely, perhaps a very light application of dry graphite lubricant (like used in fishing reels) might help.

I like to have my props spin freely. and I don't have the knowledge or skills to put electric motors inside. I'd love to, tho. lol

I never lube any part of a model. Usually causes more problems such as reacting with the paint, attracting fine dust particles which then gum up the parts and cause breakage to parts. Too many cons to pros in this case.

Trebor, if you really want the props to spin with a slight breeze, then clean the hole with a fine jewler's file and be sure the shaft on the prop is smooth (no flashing or offset casting) and then make sure there is a little "play" when you set the collar or stop on the end of the shaft. You really shouldn't need any lubricant.

I have an A6M (1/72) that's unfinished (and has been unfinished since 1998), but it sits on my self behind the desk here. And everytime the airconditioning comes on, the slight draft is just enough to slowly turn the prop...and there is no lube on it.

Dave, pretty cool, never had one so loose as to be able to do that. Mine do turn but just enough to "pose" them in a particular orientation. I would also think plastic rubbing on plastic would wear with time. If you really want them to "spin" then, as Dave posed, a DRY lubricant such as graphite. A soft "lead" pencil #1, rub on the shaft and hole.

hah, stroke of luck,it turns out I do have the dry graphite lubricant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back