Luftwaffe aircraft part

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

smithycfs

Recruit
Jun 27, 2013
Naracoorte South Australia
Hi Guys,
My first post have had problems with my password but all sorted. Need a hand to identify this aircraft part. I was informed that it was a Luftwaffe aircraft possibly a BF109.
numbers on the inside skin are B99736 L3 H5.
Regards,
Shane

Attachments

• DSCF2378.JPG
    DSCF2378.JPG
    389 KB · Views: 143
  • DSCF2379.JPG
    DSCF2379.JPG
    500 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCF2380.JPG
    DSCF2380.JPG
    209.7 KB · Views: 229
Welcome aboard.

Do you see any other stamps on the part?

I cannot gaurantee it but American, British, Russian and many other countries have inspectors stamps on every part. Many parts have multiple stamps. As examples American parts can have both manufacturers and AN stamps, the AN indicating an Army/Navy inspector has approved the part. The British equivalent of the AN stamp is the AID (Aircraft Inspection Directorate) stamp.

I would expect the German aircraft to have equivalent stamps and multiple sources conform there was at least an RLM stamp but I have never seen what one looks like..

Aviation Archaeology - Aircraft Inspection Stamps shows American stamps tho there are many errors in this list. This will give you a good idea of how variable the stamps are.

Welcome aboard.

Do you see any other stamps on the part?

I cannot gaurantee it but American, British, Russian and many other countries have inspectors stamps on every part. Many parts have multiple stamps. As examples American parts can have both manufacturers and AN stamps, the AN indicating an Army/Navy inspector has approved the part. The British equivalent of the AN stamp is the AID (Aircraft Inspection Directorate) stamp.

I would expect the German aircraft to have equivalent stamps and multiple sources conform there was at least an RLM stamp but I have never seen what one looks like..

Aviation Archaeology - Aircraft Inspection Stamps shows American stamps tho there are many errors in this list. This will give you a good idea of how variable the stamps are.
There are no other stamps, the only other mark just under the numbers is an oval shape stamp.

I have a bit of expertise on this subject. This is why a asked. Without evidenxe it is hard to say if this is bf109 or even german or ww2.

It is the coding i do not get. not a Luftwaffe part coding i think. Now that said it still could be an inspector stamp but i have not seen it in this way before.

1603744387570.png

numbers on the inside skin are B99736 L3 H5.

I am keeping an open mind due to my minimal exposure to German aircraft but I must comment that I have only seen part numbers with other numbers close by like the L3 and H5 below the part number you provide on Brit aircraft.

Can you please post a photo of the full skin and dimensions as that would give the rest if us a better mental picture of the part.

Batch numbers for the aluminium.

Yes which suggests Brit but I have no knowledge at all of French, Dutch and other European manufacturers practices and all or some or none may duplicate British practices so I will not say it is definitely Brit until someone positively IDs the part. It could even be Canadian.

I will say tho that it has definitely introduced something else that needs to be investigated, solved and recorded before mans collective memory of the answer is lost forever.

Would aluminum batch numbers be stamped? My first thought would have been that they were painted on during the rolling operation.

I agree that there is a resemblance to British marking practices based on my Mosquito experience. All Mossie part numbers were stamped with a letter followed by the number 98 and then further with additional numbers. The letters A, B, and C indicated fuselage parts and the 98 was code for "D.H. 98" which was the model number for the Mosquito. This, of course, might have been unique to de Havilland and not necessarliy the same system used on other British aircraft. And before anyone goes checking, there was no D.H. 99.

This still does not prove anything and nor does it preclude a German aircraft.

Would aluminum batch numbers be stamped? My first thought would have been that they were painted on during the rolling operation.

This still does not prove anything and nor does it preclude a German aircraft.

Many Brit manufacturers stamped the metal batch number on parts. The DTD (metal spec) was inked on and the batch number stamped in one corner of the sheet during manufacture. In many cases this was then restamped on to the parts made from that sheet tho I thought that only, or mainly, applied to structural parts and a screwed on panel would not normally be structural.

Like you I do not exclude German aircraft, or German aircraft built in plants in captured territory, at this stage, tho I do exclude the 109 due to Snautzer01's knowledge of the type.

Could it be part of the main landing gear door assembly for a Hurricane? I do not have a list of the part/assembly numbers for the Hurricane but if I am correct the part/assembly number would be the B9 9736 L3 H5. The B9 might be the manufacturer or modification center code, with the prefix designator 97 for the Hurricane? Maybe a reinforcement or modification part for the gear door? [edit: Did repair centers have their own ID codes?]

Hurricane Mk I gear door.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back