Luftwaffe Aircrew

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Micdrow

“Archive”
Aug 21, 2006
Wisconsin
Below are some pictures of equipment and such that I have saved that might be found on a typical luftwaffe crewmen.

1st picture is of a flight jacket is unusual in that it has Hauptmann rankings. Most if not all do not due to possibility of being captured.
2nd coin that could be in pilot pockets
3rd different coin that could be found in pilot pockets
4th Wedding picture that could be found in a luftwaffe pilots pocket if married.
5th A luftwaffe ring that a pilot might be found wearing.
6th picture is that of a luftwaffe hand book. If any one has one in pdf format I would love to see it along with many other people here.

Please feel free to add more to this.

Attachments

• Luftwaffe flight jacket.jpg
    Luftwaffe flight jacket.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,367
  • coin.jpg
    coin.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,135
  • coin 2.jpg
    coin 2.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,144
  • Luftwaffe wedding.jpg
    Luftwaffe wedding.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,226
  • luftwaffe ring.jpg
    luftwaffe ring.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 1,121
  • Luftwaffe handbook.jpg
    Luftwaffe handbook.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,150
Few more pictures of stuff that can be found on a Luftwaffe pilot.

1st picture is a German id tag
2nd picture are a pair of 1944 heated flight boots.
3rd picture is a pair of Luftwaffe flight goggles
4th picture is a Luftwaffe cigarette lighter
5th picture is a Luftwaffe pilot badge

Attachments

• Luftwaffe cigurate lighter.jpg
    Luftwaffe cigurate lighter.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 1,254
  • Googles.jpg
    Googles.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,150
  • 1944 Winter heated flight boots.jpg
    1944 Winter heated flight boots.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,083
  • German Dog tag.jpg
    German Dog tag.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,075
  • Luftwaffe pilot badge.jpg
    Luftwaffe pilot badge.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,137
Cool stuff Micdrow. Do you know how they would heat the boots?

From what I understand heated boots were produced for wear with the electrically heated one piece and two piece flying suits with 12volts or 24 volt wiring connectors to allow them to be connected to the flying trousers.

Few more pictures that I dug up.

1. Luftwaffe Heavy, Medium and Dive-Bomber flying clasp. Gold was issued upon completion of 110 operational flights.
2. German cigarettes
3. Matches
4. JG 2 Luftwaffe cigarette case
5. Luftwaffe award document
6. Luftwaffe Tunic

Attachments

• bomber squadron award.jpg
    bomber squadron award.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,043
  • cigarettes3.jpg
    cigarettes3.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,008
  • solders matches.jpg
    solders matches.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,278
  • 6a0b_1.jpg
    6a0b_1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,015
  • luftwaffe award document.jpg
    luftwaffe award document.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 1,035
  • Product17083.jpg
    Product17083.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 971
1. Luftwaffe helmet
2. Luftwaffe Field Cap
3. Luftwaffe Battle of Britain Ring
4. German cigars

Attachments

• lufthelmet1.jpg
    lufthelmet1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 987
  • luftwaffe field cap.jpg
    luftwaffe field cap.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,025
  • pix498486437.jpg
    pix498486437.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,003
  • cigar.jpg
    cigar.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 975
Paul the tunic is not Luftwaffe, it would be blue grey, different breast eagle as well as collar patches are not segmented elongated as shown, would be yellow backing with silver white gulls indicating flight - yellow background.

Your very first pic of the Luftwaffe Lederjacke is typically unknown to have such high ranking shoulder boards sewn into the seams............a big no no, maybe up to Hauptmann but extremely rare if not shown in an above rank for obvious security reasons

Paul the tunic is not Luftwaffe, it would be blue grey, different breast eagle as well as collar patches are not segmented elongated as shown, would be yellow backing with silver white gulls indicating flight - yellow background.

Your very first pic of the Luftwaffe Lederjacke is typically unknown to have such high ranking shoulder boards sewn into the seams............a big no no, maybe up to Hauptmann but extremely rare if not shown in an above rank for obvious security reasons

Many thanks Erich and very interesting. I will see if I can find another flight jacket. I will change wording at top because it is so unusual and find another flight jacket. The tunic has been replaced, hopefully this one is closer.

Corrections welcome, Ive corrected a couple of items above already. This is new learning experince at least for me. Additions more then welcome.

great stuff micdraw like the smokes betcha they're a little stale now

60 plus years later, I bet your right. Its surprising what a person could be carrying at the time period

Interesting site spitfirefive, I like the tool box. Maybe some day I could do some threads on aircraft tools. Might be interesting subject or maybe a project for some one else too looking for an idea.

Couple of manuals, one is the German hand book. The other is a German infantry hand book under pictures

1. German eating utensil
2. German cuff Udet

Enjoy!!!

Attachments

• German Handbook.pdf
    20.2 MB · Views: 476
  • German infantry weapons.pdf
    11.1 MB · Views: 361
  • German fork spoon.jpg
    German fork spoon.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 1,050
  • CTLuftUdetF.jpg
    CTLuftUdetF.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 957
Udet cuffband shown is one of two variations, I own an original as well. The early war had a different look in the name Udet. what is shown is 1943 till wars end but I think was not given after mid-1944 due to identification restrictions. They were continued to be worn like the Mölders cuffband and the several Kampfgeschwaders. General Galland ? since when was he deemed a cuffband........that is bogus fake, sorry

Udet cuffband shown is one of two variations, I own an original as well. The early war had a different look in the name Udet. what is shown is 1943 till wars end but I think was not given after mid-1944 due to identification restrictions. They were continued to be worn like the Mölders cuffband and the several Kampfgeschwaders. General Galland ? since when was he deemed a cuffband........that is bogus fake, sorry

Thanks Erich, Galland one removed. I defiantly want to stick to facts and not create more myths. There are too many of them all ready.

Few more pictures that I dug up.

1. Luftwaffe Heavy, Medium and Dive-Bomber flying clasp. Gold was issued upon completion of 110 operational flights.
2. German cigarettes
3. Matches
4. JG 2 Luftwaffe cigarette case
5. Luftwaffe award document
6. Luftwaffe Tunic
54194.jpg

...just to let you know, these matches are Estonian, and nothing to do with the Luftwaffe. Or even the war. Altho it looks to be from around that era.

The box has a picture of the Parliment building in Tallinn where the nations flag is flown. And the words just basically say "matches" and the company that made them.

54194.jpg

...just to let you know, these matches are Estonian, and nothing to do with the Luftwaffe. Or even the war. Altho it looks to be from around that era.

The box has a picture of the Parliment building in Tallinn where the nations flag is flown. And the words just basically say "matches" and the company that made them.

Thanks Esto, The main reason to show that was to show what a luftwaffe aircraft crew member could be carrying. It was the closest thing I could find around that era.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back