Luftwaffe éjection test

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

sunny91

Video Extraordinaire
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny

Attachments

• Luftwaffe_Ejection_system_test.avi
    7.1 MB · Views: 61
Fascinating video! I love the stop-motion animation sequence. I suppose the ejection seat hitting the Stuka fin in the inflight tests was a bit of a problem. If I remember correctly, the first emergency ejection occurred with an He-280 prototype in 1943, and the pilot survived. I've always wondered why the Me-262 didn't have ejection seats. No doubt, some of the folks on this site have information on that.

Venganza

Ouch! Think someone must have been a bit skinny with the charges

Or were they spring loaded?

You're right Joe, they did use compressed air. I might be wrong, but I think the very early experiments tried using a very powerful spring! There was certainly an early British design that used a spring-loaded lever, hooked through a loop on top of the pilot's parachute harness! The idea was that, once initiated, this lever, or arm, would fly back, rather like a reversed mouse trap, and hurl the pilot out of the cockpit. Thankfully, it was never tried with a real pilot, only dummies! Needless to say, the tests were abandoned in favour of Mr. Baker's developments!
Terry.
EDIT: Oops! Forgot to say thanks Sunny, great post!

Using a spring, sounds like the PIAT, which I believe used a spring to launch its anti-tank projectile. Terry, you mentioned Mr. Baker - I have a decal set for one of the two M.B. Gloster Meteors they use for tests. I intend to do the silver one, though after seeing the black one I'm tempted to do that one. It's on my ever-growing list of projects. Do they still use them, and are they still on the R.A.F. roll, since they have the insignia and military registration numbers?

Venganza

Hi V. The Meteors were retired some time ago, and as far as I know, one is in a museum somewhere in the UK. I saw it on the web recently, but can't remember where! I might still have a magazine article on the last one, which was red, although it might have been black at some time. The Martin Baker web-site is quite good, and an e-mail to them might get you some info; they seem very cooperative. I've got some old shots of Bernard Lynch and the ejetion tests from the first Meteor if they'd help.

Yes, Terry. I wouldn't mind seeing some shots of M.B.'s Meteors. Thank you in advance. Believe or not, I have it on my plate of things to do, to make a model of every production Meteor variant, and also the prototype, the High Speed F.4 and one of the M.B. ejection seat testers. I've got all the kits together, now all I've got to do is make them. Simple.

Venganza

OK V, it might take a bit of time (days, not weeks!), but I'll find the pics and post them asap. Don't forget the prone-pilot research Meteor!

Great, you had to bring that one up! Actually, I think there was a conversion kit for it at one time. I can probably find it on eBay, which has gotten quite a bit of bob from me lately as I've created my unbuilt collection of Meteors. I even found a resin F.4 from Argentina (unfortunately no decals). Actually not a bad little kit, but it's nearly solid resin so it weighs a ton. I'll be looking forward to the pictures - I can add them to my three-ring binder full of Meteor info.

Venganza

Right V, rather than invade this thread, I've posted some Meteor pics in the Aircraft Pictures section.
Terry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back