Luftwaffe Lancaster? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Okay, here comes the fox in the hen house. found this by googling Luftwaffe Lancaster, and then switching to image search.

lanc2.jpg

It appears to have been fitted with schrage music and German airborne radar and painted in typical Luftwaffe splinter style camo, which makes perfect sense if you wanted to infiltrate RAF bomber streams. Let the arguing begin

That's a model, built by tc2324 on Fighter Control .co.uk as a "what if", so there really isn't anything to argue about.

Incidentally I think a Luftwaffe Lancaster converted to a night fighter would be just about the last aircraft I'd want to fly in the bomber stream had one actually existed. I'd have been just as likely to be shot down by a night fighter or flak as any other Lancaster. I'd want something easily distinguishable which means two engines.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
That's a model, built by tc2324 on Fighter Control .co.uk as a "what if", so there really isn't anything to argue about.

We'll call that a draw, then? :) I sincerely doubt the Germans carried anything like this out, to be honest. I suspect the truth to be a bit more mundane than the fanciful imaginations we possess here on the internet. Taking a look through the book KG 200, the listing in the back of aircraft operated by KG 200 does not mention a Lancaster - and the list is reckoned to be the most accurate to date. Contemporary evidence suggests the Lancaster was evaluated by the E-Stellen in the same manner as any other foreign type; the Germans' primary interest being in British radio navigation aids used on bombing raids, rather than the bombers themselves.

The interest in the bombers themselves did extend to their vulnerability. I have a series of pictures somewhere (but not on this computer) of Major Wilhelm-Ferdinand Galland, Kommandeur of II./JG 26, examining a B-17 (41-24595, "Wolf Hound") and of interest is that the fuel tank positions have been outlined in white tape on top of the wings, as have areas on the sides of the engine nacelles.
Cheers
Steve

Yes, much more work was carried out by the Germans in evaluating the B-17s and B-24s; there is extensive mention of these aircraft in the KG 200 book and in German Secret Flight Test Centres to 1945. There were 20 beute B-17s and six, maybe more B-24s based on Flugbuch info in the KG200 book. The Germans were interested in the American Meddo radar, which, according to the book, they, "...intended to use to infiltrate and monitor RAF nocturnal bomber streams."

(41-24595, "Wolf Hound")

B-17F-27-B0, 41-24585 "Wulfe-Hound" was the first B-17 captured by the Germans. The aircraft's nick name is often misspelt, but photos confirm that it was, in fact "Wulfe-Hound".

I've never seen a clear photo of the name but I know that one of the crew (Fegette) confirmed the spelling as Wulfe Hound after the war.
Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
I don't believe there is a photo of a Lancaster in Luftwaffe markings. I know a lot of people have looked for one !

ND396, BQ-D, of 550 Sqn. which crash landed near Berlin on January 30/31 1944 is most people's pole sitter for the aircraft flown by Lerche. It makes his statement that the aircraft was captured a few weeks earlier a bit optimistic though.

There is also this, tentatively identified as PB362 of 83 Sqn, crash landed on 18th August 1944 and strafed by allied fighters the next day.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GGyCdie96Q

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

Do you happen to still have access to the video, as the link does not work. My wifes Grandfather, Douglas Govett was on PB362 when it crashed and we'd very much like to see the video!

Thanks

Chris

I'm afraid I only had that YouTube link.

It might be available elsewhere, with a bit of luck.

The Lancaster only appeared for a few seconds in the gun camera footage. I do have this grab of the moment one of the strafing fighters fired on it.

lancG.jpg

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
Hans-Werner Lerche in his book "Luftwaffe test pilot: Flying captured Allied aircraft of World War 2" states that late in the war the Luftwaffe captured, repaired and he flew a captured RAF Lancaster bomber on several occasions and even described it having yellow painted engines and wing tips. Does anyone know more about this? Pictures or (best guess) profiles?
My dad suffered an attack from one Augsburg 25-2-44 on run out after bombing. Rear turret had 20mm cannon set upright. Have photos of damage to fuselage. 49 Sq. PO Sanders DFC, my dad and two others DFM. Dad contacted Hendon in 1990s but no records exist.

I wouldn't mind betting on the Germans being more interested in the electronics carried by RAF Lancaster's than the airframe itself. The Lanc's performance was pretty well known but the electronics were a bit special

Very similar position as the Luftwaffe Lancaster shown in post 22 above.
Maybe the post 22 is not a model but a doctored version of this Argentinian Lancaster prior to delivery .note British markings .

[
16866214346366920345689994768026 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back