Luftwaffe Sturmbock pilot uniforms? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

von hahn

Airman 1st Class
Aug 2, 2008
JNB
Hi. I'm curious about what type of flying clothing late war (September 1944 onwards) Luftwaffe pilots, and Sturmgruppen pilots in particular, wore?

Looking at photos of JG1, JG4 and JG300 pilots, I can't seem to see any consistent uniform, they all seem to be wearing variations of similar but by no means identical uniforms.

I've attached a photo of a figure, courtesy of Tamiya, which is meant to depict a late war pilot. Is the uniform he's wearing accurate? Also, would such a uniform have collar tabs? Shoulder boards? Would it have upper arm 'flying birds' rank insignia?

Thank you for any info!

Attachments

• 10080263a5.jpg
    10080263a5.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 803
They had various options when it came to Flight Gear, they could mix/match, wear what they wanted. The jackets were issued without rank insignia or shoulder boards. Some jackets came with the Luftwaffe eagle insignia on the right breast, but others didn't. Each pilot could/would add what they wanted.

Private purchase leather jackets were typically worn early war, but some may have lasted longer.
Luftwaffe issued Flight jackets & pants came in cloth Summer, cloth Winter, leather and suede, various colors and patterns.

Here are some that would be typical for late war (not all colors shown).

Attachments

• bj04a.jpg
    bj04a.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 224
  • j03d.jpg
    j03d.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 500
  • bDcp_1206.jpg
    bDcp_1206.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 345
  • j05.jpg
    j05.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 398
  • bj1.jpg
    bj1.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 476
  • j01a.jpg
    j01a.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 715
  • be03.jpg
    be03.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 465
They had various options when it came to Flight Gear, they could mix/match, wear what they wanted. The jackets were issued without rank insignia or shoulder boards. Some jackets came with the Luftwaffe eagle insignia on the right breast, but others didn't. Each pilot could/would add what they wanted.

Private purchase leather jackets were typically worn early war, but some may have lasted longer.
Luftwaffe issued Flight jackets & pants came in cloth Summer, cloth Winter, leather and suede, various colors and patterns.

Here are some that would be typical for late war (not all colors shown).
Thank you mjfur for your reply and for posting those pictures. So pretty much anything within a loose set of parameters was ok for them to wear...that is really interesting. Once again, thank you!

Not sure about British Pilots, but American pilots had a variety of dress when in the field, too.
The only time you were bound to see Luftwaffe pilots wearing uniform dress, would be when they had to report to Berlin, or an official function - much like their American counterparts.

Hi. I'm curious about what type of flying clothing late war (September 1944 onwards) Luftwaffe pilots, and Sturmgruppen pilots in particular, wore?

Looking at photos of JG1, JG4 and JG300 pilots, I can't seem to see any consistent uniform, they all seem to be wearing variations of similar but by no means identical uniforms.

I've attached a photo of a figure, courtesy of Tamiya, which is meant to depict a late war pilot. Is the uniform he's wearing accurate? Also, would such a uniform have collar tabs? Shoulder boards? Would it have upper arm 'flying birds' rank insignia?

Thank you for any info!

The short answer was there was no standard flying uniforms for anyone after 1941 save maybe me 262 pilots who tended to wear leather flying gear due to the airplanes potential for engine fires on take off. The figures you attach photos of are probably wearing this late war gear. It was made of very dark brown leather, jacket had a fur collar. Cut of the pants was standard channel trousers but in leather. At least some were electric heated. Many pilots just wore the jacket and it was not issued just to 262 pilots. This gear did not have collar tabs, and epaulettes were an add on by individual pilots, this was not standard by any means but more common for officers. Also the Luftwaffe Eagle was not always worn. I'm pretty sure flying gear was not issued with the eagle. Another popular and fairly common flight uniform was the cloth "channel suit" consisting of jacket and trousers. It was issued in blue and a tan color for wear in the desert. There seems to have been a winter version, fur lined and fur collar and a summer version without linings. It was made right up to the end of the war. Germany also issued a tan one piece flight suit but they were not worm much after 1941.

Last edited:
To me it looks like the choice of leather or cloth. The flying dress was cut over the same design also known as the "Kanal" suit. And there was an electrically heated version and a not heated version
You also see photographs where the pilot are mixing leather and cloth.
Can any body explain the "handle" at the front of the jacked, it is on all German flight suits, the full overall type and the jacked type
Jakke.jpg

To me it looks like the choice of leather or cloth. The flying dress was cut over the same design also known as the "Kanal" suit. And there was an electrically heated version and a not heated version
You also see photographs where the pilot are mixing leather and cloth.
Can any body explain the "handle" at the front of the jacked, it is on all German flight suits, the full overall type and the jacked typeView attachment 616568

For clipping the oxygen mask hose to.

FYI - the jackets and pants were not "electrically heated". More accurately, some versions of the jacket and pants were electrically wired to carry current to "electrically heated" gloves and flight boots. While all these different electrical versions were being worn, it is rare to ever see them actually plugged "IN" and being used for heat.

Some of the jackets that I posted above have the electrical connector on the lower, outer sleeve.
Luftwaffe Issued grey leather flight jacket

Late war boots and gloves with plug.

Attachments

• b07.jpg
    b07.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 165
  • lg03.JPG
    lg03.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 112
FYI - the jackets and pants were not "electrically heated". More accurately, some versions of the jacket and pants were electrically wired to carry current to "electrically heated" gloves and flight boots. While all these different electrical versions were being worn, it is rare to ever see them actually plugged "IN" and being used for heat

As the war went higher and higher, 10 km or more the cold was extream and the need for the heated boots and gloves was a must. Also the night fighters operating in cold winter nights needed the comfort of heated boots and gloves.

If you look at the equipment of the JU-88 and HE219 as well as the ME262 there is electrical outlets for the heated boots and gloves.

As the war went higher and higher, 10 km or more the cold was extream and the need for the heated boots and gloves was a must. Also the night fighters operating in cold winter nights needed the comfort of heated boots and gloves.

If you look at the equipment of the JU-88 and HE219 as well as the ME262 there is electrical outlets for the heated boots and gloves.

There's also electrical outlets in Fw-190's and Bf-109's. You just won't see a photo or read a story about them being used. And if you look at photos of pilots uniforms, you will rarely ever see the electrical gloves being worn and you will never see the gloves or boots connected/snapped to the jacket or pants. I've looked for years, haven't found one yet.

What you typically see is a wired jacket with regular fur-lined gloves.
https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-109F...Barkhorn-with-his-Messerschmitt-Bf-109-01.jpg
https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-109G/JG3/images/Aircrew-Luftwaffe-JG3-unknown-pilot-01.jpg

Any pilot seen with his pants on the outside/over his boots wouldn't be able to connect the boot tabs to the pants. Pants must be tucked into boot for them to connect.
http://stevesnyderauthor.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Hans-Bergerwith-mechanic.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/43/bc/31/43bc31b54c71c05a1eb8ab8e62d85c78.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you all for the info. I'm sorry I'm only replying now but I have read it with great interest and a lot of gratitude for the time and effort you have expended answering my question. Thank you once again.

old thread but : Have interviewed some Sturm Fw pilots and from fall of 44 onward yes Lederkombination was worn with fur collar or without. some pilots also just went with summer leather jacket but kept wearing the insulated pocketed leather pants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back