M1 Carbine Full Auto Explained

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

$83. M1 Garand rifle. July 1942 Winchester.

$48.93 M1 carbine. Inland (i.e. GM).
Production run of 336,968. 25 Nov 1942.
…..Inland Manufacturing Division of GM was by far the largest producer of M1 carbines.

M1 carbine was a nice little weapon for truck drivers but it was expensive to manufacture. Roughly twice the price of a modern WWII era SMG such as MP40. Only the U.S. Army could afford to mass produce such expensive small arms.

Other end of the cost scale....
British Sten SMG cost about $10 during 1942. Looks like it was made of scrap metal but it worked.
sten_mk2_w800.jpg

If we didn't have money to burn I suspect that's what U.S. Army officers and NCOs would have carried ILO the more expensive M1 carbine.

With all the slave labor the Germans employed , especially in their arms industry, it hard to determine what the real cost of any of their weapons were.
If all the compensation those industries paid postwar was factored into those prices, they may not seem so cheap anymore.

That anti-German baloney is getting old. Except for SS run enterprises slave laborers were few and far between in Germany. However there were millions from Eastern Europe who volunteered to work inside Germany in an effort to escape "liberation" by the Red Army.

If you want to speak of slave labor then speak of the Soviet Union where the entire population were little more then Stalin's slaves.

That anti-German baloney is getting old. Except for SS run enterprises slave laborers were few and far between in Germany. However there were millions from Eastern Europe who volunteered to work inside Germany in an effort to escape "liberation" by the Red Army.
Are you FREAKIN' serious??

I want YOU to show me where the utopian German work force was full of happy, well fed, well paid employees flocking in from all corners of the Reich.

I want YOU to show me that the prisoners in the camps were NOT worked to death on various projects or in factories and plants.

To make a statement like you did above is not only turning a blind eye to the misery and suffering of the Jews, Poles, Slavs and Russians that perished in those work programs, but is a form of revisionism that clouds historical fact.

That is just about the most asinine comment I've seen you make here. Would you care to explain the labour forced from Western European countries occupied by Germany?
Ever heard of Sauckel? Transcripts of his trial should be readily available where you are, try reading them. They should have hanged Speer as well.
Cheers
Steve

Wondered how they were going to pause the hammer to allow the breech to close. The M16 has a similiar hammer catch that holds the hammer cocked until the trigger is pulled again. The sear is easy to remove but the hammer then just follows the bolt

With all the slave labor the Germans employed , especially in their arms industry, it hard to determine what the real cost of any of their weapons were.
If all the compensation those industries paid postwar was factored into those prices, they may not seem so cheap anymore.

There is also a big problem in that even Pre-war the currency exchange rate not allowed to float but pegged at a rather artificial rate. The Reichsmark was deliberately under valued in order to encourage exports and discourage imports to help with the German balance of trade problems. This makes it very difficult to compare the cost of various weapons just by looking at the "official cost" and trying to use the "official exchange rate" to compare prices. To be fair several other European nations were trying the same thing to a greater or lesser extent. Cost of some French weapons (tanks/aircraft) vary considerably from domestic contracts to foreign ones.

Attempts to "prove" the superiority of one nations or another in procurement or engineering need to take this into account but seldom do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back