Main battle tanks of today.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yeah, it does. Heavily armored sucker, that's for sure.

What I find impressive about the above photos is the only one that is an actual "in action" shot is the Abrams. Nothing like a battle tested machine to give it credibility.

Many of the tanks above have been battle tested including the Challenger, Leopard 2 and Merkava. Infact the Merkava probably sees more action than any of the tanks above.

Challenger 2 the best tank due to none been killed in battle, in Gulf took i think was 3 hour of RPG and gun fire all crew ok. 180 Challenger tanks were deployed to Saudi Arabia for Operation Granby, the UK operation in the Persian Gulf War. The Challenger claimed 300 kills against armoured vehicles for no losses. It also has the distinction of the longest range tank-to-tank kill in military history, destroying an Iraqi tank at a range of 5.1 km. Some say the abrams but they lost so meny in the gulf. Ricky

Challenger 2 the best tank due to none been killed in battle, in Gulf took i think was 3 hour of RPG and gun fire all crew ok. 180 Challenger tanks were deployed to Saudi Arabia for Operation Granby, the UK operation in the Persian Gulf War. The Challenger claimed 300 kills against armoured vehicles for no losses. It also has the distinction of the longest range tank-to-tank kill in military history, destroying an Iraqi tank at a range of 5.1 km. Some say the abrams but they lost so meny in the gulf. Ricky

How were so many M-1s lost? 1,848 M-1 Abrams were sent to the Gulf and only 23 were taken out of action. Of the 23 and only a few of these were actually hit by enemy fire (most of the 23 were taken out due to mechanical problems which can happen to any vehicle). Only one resulted in the fatality of a crew and that was by friendly fire. All Abrams that were hit by enemy fire were repaired and put back into action (except three that became stuck in the mud and then were destroyed by friendly fire so the Iraqi's would not capture them).

There is only one confirmed Abrams that was put out of action by Iraqi tanks. It was hit by 3 rounds, but none of them penetrated the armor, and it was sent to a depot and repaired.

By the way, the Challenger 2 was not in the Gulf War. It was in Iraqi Freedom. Challenger I's were used in Operation Granby. The Challenger 2 was used in Iraqi Freedom and 3 have been knocked out of service.

All these tanks are wonderful but they have a one achilles heel - mines. If a track is blown off the tank is a mission kill.
What is needed is a tank that can continue to operate even after it has struck one mine.

:?:
could anyone tell me , why is Indian Army hell bent over T-90 wen Arjun's a better tank... and even the tank commanders have said it on that its a better tank recently...
MBT ARJUN
Engine Power = 1400
Power to weight ratio(hp/ton) = 24
ground pressure (kg/sq cm) = 0.84
Ground clearance(mm) = 450-500
max speed (km/h) = 70
Cross country speed (km/h) = 40
acc (0-32 km/h in sec) = 10
gradient (degrees) = 35
slide slope(degrees) = 25
vertical obstacle (m) = 0.91
trench (m) = 2.43
Median Fording(m) = 2.15
shallow Fording(M0) = 1.45
Feul Capacity (Lt)
under armour = 860
Track gaurd Tanks = 720
Rear barrel = 400
TOTAL = 1980
Range: Feul consumption
on road(km) = 360:5.5
Range:Feul consumption
cross country(km) = 210:9.6
Transmission = Full Automatic l

Tracks Type = Rubberised double pin tracks
with tracks padsand rubber
tyreload wheels

Auxiliary Power Unit = For all Turret Loads

T-90 MBT
Engine Power = 1000
Power to weight ratio(hp/ton) = 21.50
ground pressure (kg/sq cm) = 0.94
Ground clearance(mm) = 404
max speed (km/h) = 60
Cross country speed (km/h) = 30
acc (0-32 km/h in sec) = 12
gradient (degrees) = 30
slide slope(degrees) = 25
vertical obstacle (m) = 0.85
trench (m) = 2.6 to 2.8
Median Fording(m) = 1.8
shallow Fording(M0) = 1.2
Feul Capacity (Lt)
under armour = 705
Track gaurd Tanks = 495
Rear barrel = 400
TOTAL = 1600
Range: Feul consumption
on road(km) = 410:3.9
Range:Feul consumption
cross country(km) = 220:7.2
Transmission = Mechanical

Tracks Type = Single pin rubberised tracks with
rubber tyred road wheels

Auxiliary Power Unit = No APU's

Last edited:
Hi,
My guess is that, since T-90 is in the production for a decade and half, it was chosen for Indian units. The opposite is true for Arjun: after 2 decades of development, the production is a giant question mark.
About the comparison of the tanks, the commander was well aware about the consequences for his carreer when the statement was made.

Although Arjun should be better then T-90 on paper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back