Maintaining a high airspeed

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Welch,

>I got a little over 400 km/h speed at an altitude of 7,600 meters roughly.

This works out to 597 km/h true air speed (if we assume instrument errors are not simulated).

If we're assuming standard day... speaking of which does the game register weather and temperature as variables?

It does register temperature to a certain degree.

For example, summertime ops will see the engine overheat if not managed well, and during winter ops you rarely need to open the radiator cowling.

It does register temperature to a certain degree.

For example, summertime ops will see the engine overheat if not managed well, and during winter ops you rarely need to open the radiator cowling.

I noticed that too. When flying the other day i was getting chased by a LA-7. Well, i kept the throttle going at 110% and never saw it say Engine over heat. But does the game use temp altitude wise. As in, the higher you go, the colder it gets. Even on summer days?

You know, that's a good question. I don't ever recall overheating at altitude, but then again, when I'm at any substantial height, I'm not holding the throttle open but cruising from point A to point B.

When I run into heat issues is typically at lower altitudes when I'm in battle or hunting a "runner" down.

Next time I think about it, I'll get up there and open 'er up and watch the temp gauge.

I am having problems to optimize my climb ratio in 109. In some coop dogs started at same altitude and equal planes I usually get myself climbing less than my oponent. Maybe i am doing something wrong, but the lurking bastards climbs more than me.

In the end of the climb, when speeds falls, the airplane start to yaw. Do you use the rudder or bank to maintain a straight climb?

I am having problems to optimize my climb ratio in 109. In some coop dogs started at same altitude and equal planes I usually get myself climbing less than my oponent. Maybe i am doing something wrong, but the lurking bastards climbs more than me.

In the end of the climb, when speeds falls, the airplane start to yaw. Do you use the rudder or bank to maintain a straight climb?
Maybe you can ask Dogs what he does differently? Maybe he has the flaps on a slider and adds a hint of flap, or he runs on radiator 1 but with throttle at 90 and a shallow climb or just runs with less fuel?

Hi Ernst,

>In the end of the climb, when speeds falls, the airplane start to yaw.

Thinking about it, this comment might indicate that the reason you don't get the same climb rate as your opponent could be that you're climbing too slowly.

Basically, the speed for best climb rate is somewhere between "going really fast" and "hanging on the prop". If you're going too fast, it's obvious that your engine power is mainly used to going fast against high-speed drag. However, if you're going too slow, there is a lot of induced drag as the result of creating lift at a low airspeed, and that's not as obvious as the high-speed drag.

Somewhere, there is a happy medium between "too fast" and "too slow", and it's even a fairly broad airspeed range in which the climb rate is close to the optimum so you don't have to hit an exact airspeed with single-digit precision :)

(As a rough guideline, the real Me 109G-1 had its speed of best climb at 280 km/h IAS from sea level to full throttle height, above which it was reduced by 5 km/h IAS per kilometer of additional altitude.)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Most people have stuck their hand out the window while riding in a car.
When ones hand is knifing through the wind this is ideal for low drag, same for an airplane wing.
When the hand presents a flat plate to the wind, speed is lost and the hand/wing stalls and drops.
Fly the wing, don't use the engine to drag you around , without taking into consideration the wing.

The pilots in the Pacific Theater used a couple of rules. Never turn more than 90degrees unless absolutely nessicarry.

keep your speed above 300mph. use slashing attacks. think Perigrine Falcon.

A famous SURVIVING fighter pilot once said, "If you find your self in a turn fight you've done some thing wrong."

Don't get caught low and slow.

Altitude=energy=speed=life.

come join us
334th_GazooO

334th Eagle Squadron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back