Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GD2508

Airman
Oct 7, 2021
Hi all,

Hoping someone can help with some questions on the German/Luftwaffe Mammut radar.

1) Can anyone please confirm that there would be ONE Mammut radar at any one site, as opposed to a cluster of Mammut radar? All pictures I've managed to find suggest they would be singular, but wanting to check!

2) Would the Mammut radar be accompanied by any other type of radar/pylon either next to it or nearby? I've attached two photos of a Mammut site in which there is a type of pylon stood adjacent. Does anyone know what this pylon is or what it was used for? Would this commonly be seen next to a Mammut radar?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-10 at 17.44.38.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-10 at 17.44.38.png
    436.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot 2022-01-11 at 10.50.01.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-11 at 10.50.01.png
    108 KB · Views: 85
To add to this..

Would ALL Mammut radar need to be positioned on a vantage point / above sea level? I understand this would be most beneficial to avoid clutter, but were there any exceptions where these were placed either at sea level, or maybe only slightly above?

Thanks again!

Thank you very much!! Great info and diagrams too.

If anyone also happens to have or know of any good images of German radar stations, these would be great. The one I'm researching (near Toulon) consisted of the following radar, but would love to see some images of what this might have looked like (aerial or ground view).

2x FuSE 65 Wurzburg-Riese

2x FuMG 80 Freya. Danach

1x FuMG 402 Wassermanm M II I

1x FuMG 401 LZ

Thanks!

Thank you very much!! Great info and diagrams too.

If anyone also happens to have or know of any good images of German radar stations, these would be great. The one I'm researching (near Toulon) consisted of the following radar, but would love to see some images of what this might have looked like (aerial or ground view).

2x FuMG 80 Freya. Danach

1x FuMG 401 LZ

Thanks!
Try my thread here Radar systems: Würzburg, Allied etc.

Hi again,

Do you know if radar stations containing such an array of radar would have them positioned close together? Or did there need to be a certain distance between them?

Looking at the radar station(s) at Toulon - I believe this was Batterie de Carqueiranne that had the below radar. I can see lots of information about artillery batteries on the hills/mountains surrounding Toulon, but almost nothing on the radar there. I've found multiple sources that list the below radar for Toulon, but would they be clustered together or spread out?

2x FuMG 80 Freya. Danach

1x FuMG 401 LZ

Hi,
One Freya radar and two Wurzburg Riese radar are working in one group.
Freya has a long "view". One WR is following a plane(s) and the other is guiding german fighter(s)
Information of serverals radar groups is given to a central point. Here information is collected and decided how to catch the plaines.

At the moment our museum renovate an Wurzburg Riese.
If you need some detail pictures please let me know

From book: German Radar in the Netherlands 1940-1945

Normal radar site consisted of:
- 2 Wurzburg-Riese
- 1 Freija
Large radar stite consisted of:
- 2 long range radars (Mammut or Wasserman)
- 2 Wurzburg-Riese
- 2 Freya

Wasserman and Mammut caused the most of the interference and were set up far away from other equipment. So they were often placed in their own strongpoint

The info from Snautzer01, obviously wartime intelligence, is a curate's egg - good in parts. All Luftwaffe Mammuts had four pylons, the ones belonging to the Navy had three pylons. So both variants were series-produced. The dimensions of the antenna array are off. The prototype had an array that measured 10 X 25 meters and consisted of eight Freya antennas, the later Mammut I had an 11,1 X 28,5 m antenna. Transmitter output was not 20 kw, but 100 kw. The ranges seem approximately correct. It used, as noted, an early form of electronic beam steering, as the antenna was fixed.

Concerning JB25's list, the FuMG 401 LZ is a Freya that can be dismantled for transport in aircraft (LZ = Lufttransport Zerlegbar). The Wassermann MII had a 40 meter high lattice pylon that carried the antenna and could be freely rotated (turntable at the bottom and cable stays at the top of the mast)

Thank you so much to you all - this is hugely helpful!!

The 4-pylon Luftwaffe version is great info. Do you know what the taller pylon adjacent is in the attached two images?

Thanks!
1643036842005.png

1643036829539.png

Almost certainly a radio antenna.

There are some library/official sites with large to very large catalogs of aerial reconnaissance photos. You may be able to dig out actual aerial photos of that site, or equivalent sites.

Immediately after the cessation of hostilities, the RAF conducted "Exercise Post Mortem" during which they sought to understand the German raid reporting system. See AIR 20/1722.

"Exercise "Post Mortem": investigation of a part of the German raid reporting and control system"

They conducted a comprehensive series of "Attacks" towards the German Defense system in Denmark. The "GROVE" G.A.F. raid reporting and control system, staffed by captured staff of the system. Makes for a fascinating read.

I have much of this document in individual JPG's of the pages.

Jim

Immediately after the cessation of hostilities, the RAF conducted "Exercise Post Mortem" during which they sought to understand the German raid reporting system. See AIR 20/1722.

"Exercise "Post Mortem": investigation of a part of the German raid reporting and control system"

They conducted a comprehensive series of "Attacks" towards the German Defense system in Denmark. The "GROVE" G.A.F. raid reporting and control system, staffed by captured staff of the system. Makes for a fascinating read.

I have much of this document in individual JPG's of the pages.

Jim
Can you give an overview of the results?

See post #24, this thread…

I also put down some details in post #20, on the operation to Chemnitz, 5/6-March, 1945.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back