Mammut Radar - German 1943-45

Hereby some pictures of Wurzburg Riese radar parts

Hi Jarwha,
Just saw your January post with the Wurzburg radar parts pictures and I was wondering if you could answer a question I have ? You show the central post that supports the radar and allows it to rotate, what type of bearings are used to support all that weight ?
Thanks !
Regards,
Bill
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Bill,
Picture shows the bearings from a Nancay WR before it went to Douvres(France).
Location: Mecagena in Cherbourg, around 1993-1994.
A WR has a ball-bearing (120mm) in top, a self-aligning barrel-bearing (160mm) just below the ball-bearing and a needle bearing (260mm) at the base. Measures are inside diameters.
It looks like the ball-bearing in top carried all the weight, according to DKF-bearing specs it could carry 21.600 kgs
Mecagena, Cherbourg, Nancay to Douvres.jpg

The two top bearings were located in a huge bearing cap.
The main support girder was suspended below this cap (or hood? I don't know a proper english term...).
So in fact all the weight was passed via the cap to the ball-bearing.
Bearing cap-hood-2.png

Bearing cap-hood 1.jpg


One thing is not clear to me :
Measurements indicate that the underside of the ball-bearing is supported by the inner ring of the barrel-bearing below.
This could be standard-engineering practice, I have no idea.
 
Last edited:
Bill,
Picture shows the bearings from a Nancay WR before it went to Douvres(France).
Location: Mecagena in Cherbourg, around 1993-1994.
A WR has a ball-bearing (120mm) in top, a self-aligning barrel-bearing (160mm) just below the ball-bearing and a needle bearing (260mm) at the base. Measures are inside diameters.
It looks like the ball-bearing in top carried all the weight, according to DKF-bearing specs it could carry 21.600 kgs
View attachment 678754
The two top bearings were located in a huge bearing cap.
The main support girder was suspended below this cap (or hood? I don't know a proper english term...).
So in fact all the weight was passed via the cap to the ball-bearing.
View attachment 678759
View attachment 678757

One thing is not clear to me :
Measurements indicate that the underside of the ball-bearing is supported by the inner ring of the barrel-bearing below.
This could be standard-engineering practice, I have no idea.
Factfndr54,

Thank you VERY Much for that information. I wondered about that cap on top of the support structure and never thought that it was what actually held it all up ! So the weight was mainly on that cap and 2 top bearings and the other needle bearing down the central shaft handled the side to side loads. I was expecting roller bearings under the gear that was part of the support shaft as is the case in some big artillery and Naval guns.
Those CAD drawings are excellent !
I would think "bearing cap" or "LOAD Bearing cap" would be most likely correct.
Regards,
Bill
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back