Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hereby some pictures of Wurzburg Riese radar parts

Hi Jarwha,
Just saw your January post with the Wurzburg radar parts pictures and I was wondering if you could answer a question I have ? You show the central post that supports the radar and allows it to rotate, what type of bearings are used to support all that weight ?
Thanks !
Regards,
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill,
Picture shows the bearings from a Nancay WR before it went to Douvres(France).
A WR has a ball-bearing (120mm) in top, a self-aligning barrel-bearing (160mm) just below the ball-bearing and a needle bearing (260mm) at the base. Measures are inside diameters.
It looks like the ball-bearing in top carried all the weight, according to DKF-bearing specs it could carry 21.600 kgs
Mecagena, Cherbourg, Nancay to Douvres.jpg

The two top bearings were located in a huge bearing cap.
The main support girder was suspended below this cap (or hood? I don't know a proper english term...).
So in fact all the weight was passed via the cap to the ball-bearing.
Bearing cap-hood-2.png

Bearing cap-hood 1.jpg

One thing is not clear to me :
Measurements indicate that the underside of the ball-bearing is supported by the inner ring of the barrel-bearing below.
This could be standard-engineering practice, I have no idea.

Last edited:
Bill,
Picture shows the bearings from a Nancay WR before it went to Douvres(France).
A WR has a ball-bearing (120mm) in top, a self-aligning barrel-bearing (160mm) just below the ball-bearing and a needle bearing (260mm) at the base. Measures are inside diameters.
It looks like the ball-bearing in top carried all the weight, according to DKF-bearing specs it could carry 21.600 kgs
View attachment 678754
The two top bearings were located in a huge bearing cap.
The main support girder was suspended below this cap (or hood? I don't know a proper english term...).
So in fact all the weight was passed via the cap to the ball-bearing.
View attachment 678759
View attachment 678757

One thing is not clear to me :
Measurements indicate that the underside of the ball-bearing is supported by the inner ring of the barrel-bearing below.
This could be standard-engineering practice, I have no idea.
Factfndr54,

Thank you VERY Much for that information. I wondered about that cap on top of the support structure and never thought that it was what actually held it all up ! So the weight was mainly on that cap and 2 top bearings and the other needle bearing down the central shaft handled the side to side loads. I was expecting roller bearings under the gear that was part of the support shaft as is the case in some big artillery and Naval guns.
Those CAD drawings are excellent !
I would think "bearing cap" or "LOAD Bearing cap" would be most likely correct.
Regards,
Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back