Massive Luftwaffe plane wreck 'found off Sardinian coast'

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
Massive Luftwaffe plane wreck 'found off Sardinian coast' - Telegraph

The wreck of a huge Luftwaffe transport plane that was shot down by a British fighter in the Second World War has been found off the coast of Sardinia, according to a team of Italian researchers. It is believed to be the only surviving example of the Messerschmitt 323 "Giant", a massive aircraft that was designed to carry tanks, half-tracks and artillery into battle.

Last edited:
Very cool, would love to see one of those in the flesh. There's a section of main spar at the Luftwaffen Museum at Gatow - looks like a piece of girder from a construction crane that gets erected up the side of a building.

I hope this warbird can be recovered and restored, and specially that there will be interest if it's the case.

..at 200 feet down , makes you wonder how it can still be 'complete' ..but must be quite a sight - photos in the current issue of Flugzeug Classic magazine apparently ..my copy on its way

what I wouldn't do to see that fixed. I would go crazy if they fixed that because I want to see that thing run off that runway how it was meant!

Hmmm, the news is from September 2012 and I believe we had a thread about it somewhere in the forum. Only these basic steel girder components should have survived the long time under water.

Hmmm, the news is from September 2012 and I believe we had a thread about it somewhere in the forum. Only these basic steel girder components should have survived the long time under water.

Sorry about that Denniss. I must be slipping. I couldn't find a date and I thought there was a similar thread but couldn't find it. Oh well.....................How about that new Rupert Grint movie? :)

I would speculate that if it had still been carrying cargo it would not have survived any form of crash or ditch..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back