Matilda Churchill, British Infantry tanks in action.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, yeah, but the Cromwell was a cruiser so it was designed from the begining to be more mobile and fast, the british infantry tank doctrine favoured a slow moving but heavily armored tank, with armamend to destroy enemy armor in order to protect the advancing infantry, however the lack of a suitable HE capable gun was very anoyying in some teathers of operations, like in Africa.

Matilda I knocked out in Arras.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 248
Yes, the 2 pounder didnt use HE ammunition until 1943, wich was a bit late. In fact I must correct myself , the gun was capable of shooting explosive rounds but simple there was no provition for that, all the ammo carried was steel core AP.

There was a variant with a 76 mm howitzer, but it used smoke bombs mostly.

Profile of the "Gamecok", a Matilda II mark I captured in France, note the tailskid designed for avoid falling in a wide trench. also it had the increased clearance wich improved cross country capabilities but increased stress on suspension parts.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 400
  • 2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 235
Okay, I think I get it now. Lack of HE rounds in North Africa would have been a pain in the as@. AP rounds could be used against APCs and panzers, but would be completey useless against AT guns, bunkers, or soft skinned vehicles.

You have a button in the toolbar for posting pictures, is the fifth counting from the left, also you can upload it from you PC hard disk.

The top one seems a Mark IV or VI. The other is the Churchill flamethrower known as Crocodrile.

The Matilda in action agaist the italian, the WavelL counterofensive in late 1940 almost knocked out Italy from teh African continent causing apalling losses in the process. The attack was spearheaded by the Matildas.

Overrun italian artillery in Sidi barrani.

Matilda with fascine for trench crossing.

Matilda II Mark II with special ramp for crossing the Bardia fortress wide antitank ditch.

You re welcome.

I guess that the Matilda II heavy armor compensated the british numerical inferiority. Not in vane the tank was nicknamed "Queen of the desert"

Matilda in the very shooted up Fortress of Bardia.

Cleaning up, the 2 pounder (40mm) main gun armor penetration was 52 mm at 500 meters and 44 mm at 1000 meters, more than enough against any italian afv.

Excellent find.

Command staff of the 3rd Shock Army observing turned over "Matildas" from the 170th Separate Tank Battalion. February, 1942

I suppose this view was quite a "shock" the matilda relative narrow track does not seems very useful in icy conditions.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 160

Users who are viewing this thread