Maximowitz's "Black 8"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

AndrewTuckerArt

Recruit
Mar 4, 2010
Hi everyone.

This is my first time posting and I'd just like to say how impressed I am with all the great information I have seen here.

I am an artist who is researching Willi Maximowitz's Fw 190 "Black 8" for a painting I plan to do. In doing so I have noticed how some portrayals of his aircraft show it with a red spinner, and others with a black spinner. Which is correct? Are they both correct depending on certain points of service? I am particularly interested in how it looked while Maximowitz was based at Dreux, France prior to D-Day. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

~Andy

Last edited:
this has been covered at length by myself and others here, do a search if you would please.

Black 8 in this case before Sturm IV./JG 3 used a particular camo and markings scheme allowed it's Sturm like a/c to be painted in a few different styles. This individual A/c had a black prop hub with yellow spinner, the eagle exhaust marking was black with a red outline. Black 8 of 11st staffel was to be remarked with the removal of the yellow spinner stripe, painted white and the eagle trim of red was removed and repainted white. the 10th staffel and the 11th staffels had the same markings except 10th staffel had white numerals, the 11th had black.

E ~

Thank you very much for the information Erich.

Thanks VB.

~Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back