ME 109 or BF 109?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here is the story:

The RLM transition from the 'Bf' to 'Me' occurs between the unsuccessful Bf-162 Jaguar (whose number was subsequently allocated to the He-162 VolksJaeger) adn the Me-163 Komet. The Me-155 avoides the issue by having been transferred at a very early stage to Blohm and Voss.

Then there is the "grey area" of projected developments of the 'Bf'' types (eg the Bf-109G) initiated after the change to 'Me'. This is tempting(eg Me-109H) but since later operational varients of the 109 retained the 'Bf' prefix (Bf-109K circa 1944-45) this work was standardized on all Messerschmitt types below the RLM number 162 being prefixed 'Bf' and all those from 163 and upwards being prefixed 'Me'.

Lufwaffe Secret Projects Fighters `1939-1945 by Walter Schick and Ingolf Meyer.

There you have it the 109 is accuratly the Bf-109 and not the Me-109.

P38 Pilot said:
book1182 said:
P38 Pilot said:
Yeah. I actually prefered Me-109 because Messerschmitt made a lot of German fighters during the war. Name is best understood.

I agree!!! Me-109 puts fear into me when I hear it.

Exactly! Me sounds like "Enemy." It does put more fear into you! In my opinion Bf sounds like "Butt Face." :lol:

LOL LOL LOL HAHAHAHAH.....That was dumb! :rolleyes:

i'm with adler here, most pilots wheren't even sure what plane they were shooting at let alone what funny stuff it's initails stood for ;)

Lets see it could go this way....

"IVE GOT BANDITS! 2 OCLOCK HIGH!"

"WHAT ARE THEY?"

"THERE BUTFACES!"

or

"BANDITS 2 OCLOCK HIGH"

"GOT EM ENGAGING"

"GOT EM, GOT EM, DOWN ONE HUN'

"WE GOT US A KRAUT"

I think the latter was more accurate.

the lancaster kicks ass said:
i'm with adler here, most pilots wheren't even sure what plane they were shooting at let alone what funny stuff it's initails stood for ;)

Yeah we did - Bloody Foreigners ;)

I wonder what "bf" stands for? Like "me" for Messerschmitt, or is it just a preferred letter?

The DB601 / 603/605 were inverted Vee configuration. The engine was specifically designed to have a tub through the middle for a cannon. If you design for that, it is easy to do. If you don't it is tough to change the design later as it would require new tooling and so would be a completely different engine. The Merlin COULD have bee designed for a cannon though the Vee, but wasn't, and so never got one due to the enormous change that would be required.

The Germans preferred centerline armament and the British / US did not, or at least did not design an engine for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back