ME-110 weapons convergence?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The convergence would be different for each aircraft as the pilot chose where he wanted to have his guns converging. This varied from around 100-150 yards up to 300 with the average probably around 200-250 yards for convergence.

Hi Gnomey ~S~.

Thanks I needed another opinion because I thought it would be in the area you mention but another fellow swears they were set at 1000 yrds. I thought that was extreme but did not care to argue.

JG57_Rall

depends on the armaments in question. for 13mm yes, but since the Bf 110 never had a forward 13mm arrang. then it would be either mg 17's or mg 151/20 or 3cm mk 108's

depends on the armaments in question. for 13mm yes, but since the Bf 110 never had a forward 13mm arrang. then it would be either mg 17's or mg 151/20 or 3cm mk 108's

~S~ Erich

I remember reading some instructions a fighter instructer was giving one of his students and he said not even to fire until the enemys aircraft was filling up your gun sight. I can see this at 150 to 200 meters but not at a thousand yards

Rall

Here are 2 pages from "Lehrbildreihe Nr. 25 Bordwaffen BF 110c" and L. Dv. 579/1 that show the trajectories for the MGs and MG-FFs of the B and C models.

Attachments

• BF110-86a.jpg
    BF110-86a.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 385
  • anlage 2a.jpg
    anlage 2a.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 368
Not directly related, but the factory convergence for the Bf.109 was 450 m.

This airplane also had the armament on the nose, although was smaller in its nose section and the distance from the Line Of Sight and the Boresight Line was a little bit smaller.

The problem is to bring different weapons with different bullet weights and different velocities on one point.
So there is an horizontal and a vertical convergence.

For example the FW 190 has the following convergences.(Out of a british test fire report)

The harmonization ranges for each pair of guns are:
Two MG 17 guns at 300 metres or 330 yards. Two MG 151/20 guns at 450 metres or 490 yards.
Two Oerlikon FF 20-mm guns at 250 metres or 270 yards.

The pilot couldt choose following firing modes

1. MG 17 and MG 151/20 ( both syncronized)

2. MG FF

3. all guns

You see it becomes complicated.

So the pilot couldt switch to position 1. and fire at 450 meter uising the

450 meter ring at the sight.

Or he used the FF at 250 meter using the FF ring

Or he used all guns - starting at 450 meter and try to find the best aiming somewhere between the different sight rings.

To that a plane lost about 50 KM/H speed at a burst.

Not to forget the "Kentucky windage"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back