Me-262 Gunsight

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rodd1951

Airman
Nov 20, 2020
Hi All,

We are still in the process of overhauling/upgrading our 262 and I was wondering if anyone has a detailed diagram of the REVI gunsight? Ours is missing but we are looking to fabricate a replica if we can get hold of some accurate diagrams. Think its a 16D with Gyro stabilisation/ lead calculation (in photos it is a lot longer than the REVI 16B gunsight we have in our Me-109) however some sources say its a REVI EZ42

All help, information, advice etc gratefully received.
Rodd

The majority of Me 262's used the Revi 16B. A few EZ 42's were tested in the Me 262 (along with other aircraft), but very few.
I believe there were only about 200 units of the EZ 42 produced. I am not aware of any Me 262 using a Revi 16D.

Attachments

• img006.jpg
    img006.jpg
    621.9 KB · Views: 108
  • AM51-2x.jpg
    AM51-2x.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 97
  • xPicture_034.jpg
    xPicture_034.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 113
  • EZ42%20Handbuch.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 83
  • ez42.jpg
    ez42.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Mjfur and Miflyer

Thank you both for getting back to me with information on the Me-262 Gunsight.

It seems that the best way forward would be to fit a REVI 16B as the EZ42 was so rare, I'm sure we have a couple in stores if not it will be fairly easy to copy the one in our Bf-109.

Thank you both again for your help

Rodd Evans

Mjfur and Miflyer

Thank you both for getting back to me with information on the Me-262 Gunsight.

It seems that the best way forward would be to fit a REVI 16B as the EZ42 was so rare, I'm sure we have a couple in stores if not it will be fairly easy to copy the one in our Bf-109.

Thank you both again for your help

Rodd Evans
Hi,

There was actually quite a few ME262s equiped with the EZ42. From photos of wrecked aircrafts on different airfields around Germany, you can identify that they vere equiped with the EZ42.

But there is a lot more to it that the gunsite itself, there is quit a few other things as shown in this photograph
EZ-42_Komponente.jpg

Hi,

There was actually quite a few ME262s equiped with the EZ42. From photos of wrecked aircrafts on different airfields around Germany, you can identify that they vere equiped with the EZ42.

But there is a lot more to it that the gunsite itself, there is quit a few other things as shown in this photograph
View attachment 682249
Post some pics.

And do you have the wrknr for this one. Perhaps i can find out with what type it was equipped at the time.

did bit of searching

Based on what I understand from JG 7 The World's First Jet Fighter Unit 1944/1945 by Bohme the answer is not very common. Apparently the new gunsight was tested with the Me 262 by III./JG 7 in late February and early March 1945 after which Major Rudolf Sinner, the Gruppenkommandeur, decided against equipping the aircraft of the unit with the device. Evidently the high speed of the jet fighter allowed very little time to adjust the range controls for the gunsight to compute the necessary deflection. The book mentions that very likely the only victories claimed by a Me 262 equipped with the EZ 42 occurred when Unteroffizier Heiner Geisthövel of 2./JG 7 claimed two P-51 fighters on 8 April 1945. In contrast to the negative opinions concerning the use of the EZ 42 with the Me 262 it is my understanding that the pilots of II./JG 300 equipped with the Fw 190 A-8 that used it operationally were pleased with it. I hope this helps.

features the EZ42 gunsight... "white 4", WNr 500226, of Oberleutnant Bohatsch, 1.JG7 at Dedelstorf. Bohatsch landed there on 8th of May 45 coming from Saaz/Zatec.

As I collect gunsights, I constantly look for the EZ42 among others in all pics I come across. In the last 10 years I have found pics of it installed in only four aircraft. If there's more please be so kind as to post them. EZ 42 in FW 190 - Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

as you see the ez 42 was programmed to be on a Me262. However notive the absence of a fl number for it. If you cant order it with this fl number you can not install it. Ergo i think all uses of ez 42 on the Me262 are just testing and not regular fittings.

1660643415643.png

The FL- and Geräte. no is: FL52218 and the Geräte no is 127-569 A-1.
Source: Fl.52218 EZ 42, 1945 | Deutscheluftwaffe
With some nice pics
At late war material, there semes to be missing FL-numbers in some instances, probably due to lack of registration by the RLM, but in this instance that is done.

Messerschmitt Me 262A-1a (W.Nr. 170047) piloted by Franz Schall of the Erprobungskommando 262/Kommando Nowotny

Yes, and the photograph is from Innsbruck-Reichenau, Austria in May 1945 by American GI´s. This ME 262 was first flown on July 21, 1944 and was first assigned to EKdo 262-Lärz and later to III./JG7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back