Me-262 Gunsight

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I agree. The wall the motor was attached to , is the front spar of the fin. So neither it could be moved forward nor back rather. Here two shots of the area for teh Me 262 A-1a W.Nr.111711.

View attachment 708604

View attachment 708605
The source: ME-262A-1 W/N 111711 "Old 711" in detail / Luftwaffe Library / Forums - Axis and Allies Paintworks
yes looks like ours with a wall behind it so no way slide to a different position...

Attachments

• IMG_5114 Trim Acutator removed Three Qtr view.JPG
    IMG_5114 Trim Acutator removed Three Qtr view.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5115 Trim Acutator removed Front On.JPG
    IMG_5115 Trim Acutator removed Front On.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
It looks like there is a lack of a couple of the pars of the mechanizm.
Yes you could be right. here are some shots with the motor removed. Maybe it is in the same place but they changed access to a side panel because it was quicker or easier to get in there for servicing.

Attachments

• IMG_5093 Gap under Tailplane .JPG
    IMG_5093 Gap under Tailplane .JPG
    868 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5114 Trim Acutator removed Three Qtr view.JPG
    IMG_5114 Trim Acutator removed Three Qtr view.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5115 Trim Acutator removed Front On.JPG
    IMG_5115 Trim Acutator removed Front On.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
A minor modification could have been introduced. For instance the different trim tab for the rudder. The access pane is quite easy to introduced. Just a matter of different lauout of the fairing between the fuselage and the fin. All depended on the manufacturers then. Especially if the tail main parts were assembled by the different subcontractors. But the motor had to be located in the same place because it didn't slide the stabilizer forward or back but just moved its leading edge up and down.. Judging by the pics posted above the main axis of the screw jack powered by the motor was exactly according to the vertical axis of the plane. May be it would be worth to check if the motor was the same for all of the Me 262.

A minor modification could have been introduced. For instance the different trim tab for the rudder. The access pane is quite easy to introduced. Just a matter of different lauout of the fairing between the fuselage and the fin. All depended on the manufacturers then. Especially if the tail main parts were assembled by the different subcontractors. But the motor had to be located in the same place because it didn't slide the stabilizer forward or back but just moved its leading edge up and down.. Judging by the pics posted above the main axis of the screw jack powered by the motor was exactly according to the vertical axis of the plane. May be it would be worth to check if the motor was the same for all of the Me 262.
Yes agreed, the motor has to be in the same place to do the same think, its just the way of getting to it. :)

I understood. But as I said the introducing of the port side access panel could be done by the cooperating workshop without any specifications.

I understood. But as I said the introducing of the port side access panel could be done by the cooperating workshop without any specifications.
Yes totally agree, the more I look at 500071 the more I think it may have even been a local field modification for quicker access..

Exactly. The 50007 was made in 1945 as memo serves. So it might have been almost about the end of the war.

#500071 has had panels cut in the airframe to show the interior of the aircraft, the jackscrew panel was cut as well. You'll notice there aren't any nut plates for fasteners on the leading edge of that panel.

Attachments

• Me-262 Munchen - Alt Triim Loc.jpg
    Me-262 Munchen - Alt Triim Loc.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 25
#500071 has had panels cut in the airframe to show the interior of the aircraft, the jackscrew panel was cut as well. You'll notice there aren't any nut plates for fasteners on the leading edge of that panel.

Ahh thanks MJFUR, that makes sense.
Having watched a video of this aircraft I remember that there are a lot of cut away sections to expose the interior construction etc.

I would easily watch a 1 hour TV special in restoring a ME262. Consider filming every step? Sell it to Netflix and find the next project.

did bit of searching

Based on what I understand from JG 7 The World's First Jet Fighter Unit 1944/1945 by Bohme the answer is not very common. Apparently the new gunsight was tested with the Me 262 by III./JG 7 in late February and early March 1945 after which Major Rudolf Sinner, the Gruppenkommandeur, decided against equipping the aircraft of the unit with the device. Evidently the high speed of the jet fighter allowed very little time to adjust the range controls for the gunsight to compute the necessary deflection. The book mentions that very likely the only victories claimed by a Me 262 equipped with the EZ 42 occurred when Unteroffizier Heiner Geisthövel of 2./JG 7 claimed two P-51 fighters on 8 April 1945. In contrast to the negative opinions concerning the use of the EZ 42 with the Me 262 it is my understanding that the pilots of II./JG 300 equipped with the Fw 190 A-8 that used it operationally were pleased with it. I hope this helps.

features the EZ42 gunsight... "white 4", WNr 500226, of Oberleutnant Bohatsch, 1.JG7 at Dedelstorf. Bohatsch landed there on 8th of May 45 coming from Saaz/Zatec.

As I collect gunsights, I constantly look for the EZ42 among others in all pics I come across. In the last 10 years I have found pics of it installed in only four aircraft. If there's more please be so kind as to post them. EZ 42 in FW 190 - Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum
You collect gunsights? In case you might assist, I have been trying to find an AA spider and cup gun sight for my ZB-37. I want to donate to a museum and have the AA tripod, the arm crook, the belt loader, spare barrel and sleeve. A stunning display except missing the darn sight. Hence I'm throwing out long shots. I can send a photo of the desired sight. At this point I would buy even à reproduction.
Sorry about intruding here.

Attachments

• DA54920D-9F1D-4055-AFFA-A3ACE3C69F94.png
    DA54920D-9F1D-4055-AFFA-A3ACE3C69F94.png
    252.7 KB · Views: 15
You collect gunsights? In case you might assist, I have been trying to find an AA spider and cup gun sight for my ZB-37. I want to donate to a museum and have the AA tripod, the arm crook, the belt loader, spare barrel and sleeve. A stunning display except missing the darn sight. Hence I'm throwing out long shots. I can send a photo of the desired sight. At this point I would buy even à reproduction.
Sorry about intruding here.
I am very sorry Richard, there are people on this group who collect various items of aircraft memorabilia and who maybe able to help you but sadly I am not one of them.
My interest is purely in restoring the Me-262 in our museum to as good a specification as we can (within a limited budget).
Good luck with you search.

Hi All,

Just to keep you up to date here is a photo the replica REVI-16B sight being fabricated in the Conservation Centre.

This is one of 2 being made as we decided our Fw-190 would also look a lot better with a Gun-Sight.
R

Attachments

• IMG_7061.JPG
    IMG_7061.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 21

Users who are viewing this thread

Back