ME 262 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bug_racer

Airman 1st Class
Oct 6, 2006
Sydney
If the ME-262 was to become a pure defense of the reich fighter and not a fighter bomber , how much time would this have saved ? If it was to have been built earlier , did Germany govern the land where the raw materials were for the engines ? Where was the supply coming from for the critical components of the plane ?

None.

The Me-262 airframe was more or less ready in 1943. The Jumo 004B engines were not ready until late 1944. Hitler's decisions had no effect on the rate of jet engine research development.

No but it did cost the LW fighter arm precious time in which they could've been allowed to use the Me262 in its intended role, as a pure fighter a/c. Hitler initially had the majority carry out fighter bomber roles, for which the Me262 certainly wasn't a suitable choice, it accelerated far to quickly in dives and was in general far to fast to be an effective fighter bomber.

If the ME-262 was to become a pure defense of the reich fighter and not a fighter bomber , how much time would this have saved ? If it was to have been built earlier , did Germany govern the land where the raw materials were for the engines ? Where was the supply coming from for the critical components of the plane ?

Without being able to check my usual sources, I'd say a few weeks maybe a few months (2-4) at most, which was a lot in those days, but certainly not enough to have a war changing impact.

They needed to redesign the engines anyway to be able to put it into real mass production. That was what delayed the fighters the most, the fighter-bomber issue was there but only secondary to the engine-resource problem. IF they had prioritized the Jumo 004 A over whatever else used the alloys (e.g. I think some was reserved for submarine production) AND had prioritized the fighter versions... THAT might've had some real impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back