Meanwhile .. in Red Square

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
.... how a nation conducts its 'military exercises' speaks volumes about the kind of regime putting on the show ... and what they expect to achieve from the effort and expense. The Soviets favored the objective of intimidation ... Stalin mastered this format in November 7, 1941, and it worked beyond expectations. The US exercises always feature partnerships with stake holder allies ... of course they are meant to intimidate ... but they speak to solid partnerships ... NATO needs to up its game with or without the USA, IMHO.

Last edited:
Russia is surrounded by enemies ....

Battle Group Poland performs winter live fire training during Operation Raider Lightning at Bemowo Piskie Training Area, Poland, Jan. 16. Battle Group Poland is a unique, multinational coalition of U.S., U.K., Croatian and Romanian Soldiers who serve with the Polish Armed Forces 15th Mechanised Brigade as a deterrence in support of NATO's Enhanced Forward Presence. (Photos by 1Lt. Christina Shoptaw)

tumblr_plnz9bt8YD1qgggino1_1280.jpg

Russia is NOT landlocked.
.. Russia's future lies on the Pacific Coast and Asia Markets.

Last edited:
.. Russia's future lies on the Pacific Coast and Asia Markets.

Well... That had been proclaimed many times in the history of the Russian Empire, of the Soviet Union and of the Russian Federation.
Relatively short periods of activity during another leap of all country to catch up with the West... and then longer periods of stagnation when Far Eastern regions were neglected by Moscow bureaucracy.
I lived there and worked and travelled from Posyet Bay in Primorye up to Anadyr in Chukotka and further north via the Strait of Bering to Ambarchik. Huge region with enormous potential. Fantastic landscapes. Unfortunate history.
Some day the dreams will come true... Unless Chinese decide otherwise.

Interesting .... I appreciate your personal experience

"dreams will come true..."

Russia is surrounded by CUSTOMERS

That thinking could be Russia's game changer that could make the dreams come true

Last edited:
There is another reason why Russia is weaker than most people realise and that is its population. It's population is about 143 million whereas the UK, France and Germany equal 210 million and if we include the other European countries considerably more. On average each of those Russian citizens aren't nearly as wealthy or as well educated, or as healthy as a European citizen.
Life expectancy:-
Germany 81
France 82.4
UK 81.2
Russia 70.5

It should also be noted that the population of Russia has basically levelled off but almost every other county has seen a consistent rise.

Economic Strength by GDP 2018 in millions
Germany $ 4,029,140
France $ 2,749,696
UK $ 2,808,899
Russia $ 1,576,488

Technology is also important. The West has always had a lead in technology over Russia but that lead is now getting larger and it's quite possible that Russia will lack the economic power to compete. There is a good argument to be put in that the cold war was lost because the Soviet Union didn't have the economic strength to compete and I would suggest that their position is weaker now then ever before. There areas of course where they can concentrate their efforts and be as good as the best but not everywhere.

This is why China is such a major threat to Russia. It has the population, increasing economic power and its technology base is growing at a very impressive rate. Overall I wouldn't hesitate to say that in the near future China's military capability will be considerably greater than Russia's.

Chosin was a great victory for the US Marines and a real test of the capability for air power ... both close air support and heavy lift, from the Boxcars. Air dropping sections of Treadway bridge in a mountainous valley, on target, was a most amazing achievement, IMO.
US Marines and Royal Marines fought together ... and learned from each other.
Thanks, GrauGeist

Last edited:
There is another reason why Russia is weaker than most people realise and that is its population. It's population is about 143 million whereas the UK, France and Germany equal 210 million and if we include the other European countries considerably more. On average each of those Russian citizens aren't nearly as wealthy or as well educated, or as healthy as a European citizen.
Life expectancy:-
Germany 81
France 82.4
UK 81.2
Russia 70.5

It should also be noted that the population of Russia has basically levelled off but almost every other county has seen a consistent rise.

Economic Strength by GDP 2018 in millions
Germany $ 4,029,140
France $ 2,749,696
UK $ 2,808,899
Russia $ 1,576,488

Technology is also important. The West has always had a lead in technology over Russia but that lead is now getting larger and it's quite possible that Russia will lack the economic power to compete. There is a good argument to be put in that the cold war was lost because the Soviet Union didn't have the economic strength to compete and I would suggest that their position is weaker now then ever before. There areas of course where they can concentrate their efforts and be as good as the best but not everywhere.

This is why China is such a major threat to Russia. It has the population, increasing economic power and its technology base is growing at a very impressive rate. Overall I wouldn't hesitate to say that in the near future China's military capability will be considerably greater than Russia's.

I'm not sure of the current numbers, but I remember reading most Western European countries would have negative population growth if it weren't for immigrants. I don't know whether that's the case for Russia.

I'm not sure of the current numbers, but I remember reading most Western European countries would have negative population growth if it weren't for immigrants. I don't know whether that's the case for Russia.

Same for Russia, indeed. Population growth curve went down and up in the post USSR period and down again recently. Migration from Central Asia plays large role in supporting the growth. Also higher birth rates in North Cacausus and other regions with large proportion of Muslims.

In the meantime.

Mr.Putin has talked again about his Wunderwaffe in the annual speech recently.
Mr.Kiselyov (TV anchor at Rossiya 24 state channel) decided to elaborate and to explain to the public how this Wunderwaffe (or Vergeltungswaffen?) will be used. List of targets was described in details and shown on the screen.
From 03:21 to 05:56. English subtitles are available.

Ah, and that slogan on the screen means "Zircon as a justice". "Zircon" - the name of the V-weapon which is talked about. According to Moscow's PR channels this "Zircon" is hypersonic, unstoppable, invincible, can be used from any platform: ground, air, sea (surface and submersible), etc.
The only thing I miss in Mr.Kiselyov's presentation is some cheerful music. As Bomben auf Engelland, for example.

Michael, you are welcome.

As for the Russian Federation (RF) Embassy remark...what a travesty. The history of 1950-1970s wars in Indochina was extremely politicised in USSR. And this legacy lives on in modern RF, unfortunately. Most of post 1991 domestic publications about those wars (excluding purely military and technical ones based on translated "Western" sources) just repeat in one way or another all USSR/SRV myths. Level of ignorance is unbelievable. I'm not surprised when I read in "expert" article that Linebacker II ended up in USA complete defeat and demonstrated superiority of the Soviet systems and it was Hanoi who coerced Americans to come back to the negotiations.
So, when they say "Vietnam" they do not know what they talk about. Ignorant and pompous...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back