Meanwhile .. in Red Square

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would much rather prefer we keep the left vs. right politics off of this forum.

Actually I don't prefer it, the forum rules on politics is quite clear...

This thread is no different, and will be closed if needed.

In July 1941, under the name of special drill, Japan deployed 700,000 troops along the Soviet-Manchuria border to rivet the Soviet troops in the Far East. I hear Stalin was in panic as he could not concentrate on the battle with Germans. History teaches.

... lovely jet, very impressive! Did they ever see combat .... GW#1 or #2?
The point of my post was not the A-10, per se, but CAS aircraft operating in tactical situations on Russia's door step. NATO must do this, IMO ... the Baltic Republics were thrown under the bus in 1939-40 and again at Yalta in 1945 ... as was Poland.
BTW I have seen footage of Norwegian F-104 Starfighters operating from highways back in the day ... hardly an ideal CAS platform but the operational flexibility will always be important.

Last edited:
... lovely jet, very impressive! Did they ever see combat .... GW#1 or #2?
The point of my post was not the A-10, per se, but CAS aircraft operating in tactical situations on Russia's door step. NATO must do this, IMO ... the Baltic Republics were thrown under the bus in 1939-40 and again at Yalta in 1945 ... as was Poland.
BTW I have seen footage of Norwegian F- 104 Starfighters operating from highways back in the day ... hardly an ideal CAS platform but the operational flexibility will always be important.

Jaguars? Yes, with the French Air Force in GW1.

To me it looks a lot more like a PR exercise and not a learning exercise. You only really learn lessons when you move large numbers of troops from A to B, How you feed, supply and generally support them in a battle of movement. How the troops move deploy and fight when things aren't following a script, when the opposition can use their initiative and surprise, you, when communications are being disrupted.

I certainly could be wrong but I see nothing of this.

Glider, I agree with your observations, but the value in these exercises is to watch the opposition and their kit .... the US exercise earlier in the summer which involved shipping across the Atlantic was far more useful as a learning experience.

Glider, I agree with your observations, but the value in these exercises is to watch the opposition and their kit .... the US exercise earlier in the summer which involved shipping across the Atlantic was far more useful as a learning experience.
Totally agree. All that towed artillery in a nice straight line would be an A10 jockey's Christmas and Birthday, all rolled into one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back