Meet Judy - D4Y dive bomber in Tokyo (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nuuumannn

Major
Oct 12, 2011
Nelson
Hi Guys, the latest update to my website is the excellent Yokosuka D4Y at the Yasukuni Shrine in Tokyo.

D4Y%2003_zpsulmx2ehc.jpg

D4Y%2004_zpscklcmfjf.jpg

D4Y%2005_zpsjzglmnup.jpg

Note that the quality of the images isn't great; the photos were taken with a wee hand held 35 mm film camera many years ago now.

warbirds

Thanks for looking.

Always thought the D4Y was one of the best dive-bombers that Japan possesed - also of note, was that it was one of the few aircraft of theirs without a radial engine.

Great shots and thanks for the link! :thumbleft:
whilst some were produced with non radials, most production versions were powered by the Kinsei and looked like the following

upload_2017-10-29_14-50-41.png

Their biggest weakness remained the inadequate protection. They never attained the same levels of success as the Val which they replaced, due to being so heavily outnumbered and the low level of training given to the Japanese aircrew as the war progressed.

I wonder what model kits are available for this aircraft?

I have been on a D4Y kick lately so this is interesting! The early models with the inline engine are a really aggressive looking shark mouth styled plane, Specifications show it to be as fast or faster than the Ki-61 fighter that used the same engine! The D4Y is a small plane, about the size of a SBD Dauntless but only having a 250kg (551lb) anti-ship bomb available.

The production numbers I found show the production was close to 50:50 between the earlier inline and later radial engine models.

Last edited:
... I wonder what model kits are available for this aircraft?

The 1/48 scale ...

Fine Molds FB07 IJN Carrier Bomber D4Y3 Judy 33
d4y3.jpg

Fine Molds FB05 Kugisho D4Y2-s Judy Night Fighter
d4y2-s.jpg

Fine Molds FB01sp IJN D4Y1/2 Judy 302 kokutai
d4y1_2.jpg

Fine Molds FB8 IJN Bomber KUGISHO D4Y4 JUDY
s-l500.jpg

The 1/72 scale ...

AZModel...
2750_rd.jpg

2750_rd1.jpg

2750_rd2.jpg

2750_rd3.jpg

Fujimi ...

fujimi1.jpg

fujimi2.jpg

Last edited:
I think there is a couple more kits offered by different manufacturers but these above you may find the most often..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back