Memorial statue for three Russian pilots

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lefa

Airman
Jan 9, 2014
My hometown cemetery is a memorial stone for three Russian pilots.
But I can not find any information what was happened.

Is there a Russian members who can tell me something?

My hometown is Rauma.
Google Maps

Attachments

• WP_20161226_11_55_17_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161226_11_55_17_Pro.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 170
I found out the story behind the monument! The memorial has the wrong date. I'm trying to translate the story, I apologize for my bad English. The Plane (SB2) shot down by Lieutenant Mikko Linkola.

"I was just bringing in new Morane 406 to Säkylä and climbed out of the plane at the base, when the alarm sounds. To Rauma approached the bomber-formation and Lieutenant Turkki command me with him because the plane was still warm. I did not even take my suitcase out from the plane and I was in civilian dress, because impartial Sweden I had, of course, wearing so. We flew the fastest pace in Rauma, where the bombing was underway. I attacked and shot one of those planes firing it. The machine left behind a thick black smoke and fell to approx. 7 km Rauma southwest. Rauma's air defense center confirmed the matter and Lieutenant Turkki saw by machine makes hole in the ice . I had to leave immediately after my return from Sweden to pick up a new machine. A car was already waiting in Säkylä to bring me in Turku, Where we flew to Sweden. "

The correct date is somewhere between 17.2.1940-22.2.1940. The pilots had been buried just beneath a wooden cross, and after the war, the Soviet Union wanted a monument to all the fallen. Then the number of days went wrong, because no one is interested to find out the correct date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back