Messerschmitt Bf 110 equipment....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
One pals asked me what this is and its correct colour?
I haven't got the foggiest....:lol:

That wee dark box, to the right, next to the window....

Bf-110-canopy.jpg

Seriously, it's the wireless Morse key.

The T.1 key was used in all the branches of the German military where a clamshell (covering over the contacts) was needed. The other style was the T.2, but those weren't found aboard aircraft.

Here's a T.1 key with a wide base instead of a "pedestal" as seen in the cockpit photo.

H3257-L73274934.jpg

Last edited:
Wojtek, 'wireless' was a term used at that period, and still today by some, for radio equipment. It derived from the change to radio communication from telegraph - therefore no wires connecting two stations, hence 'wireless'.
In the RAF, radio operators were known as Wireless Operators, people would say "Let's listen to the News - tun on the wireless", where today we would say "turn on the radio".
BTW, in the photo, the Morse key unit has a safety cover over the top of it, presumably to prevent accidental transmission. This appears to eb RLM 66 or similar, with the key unit itself in black.

My apologies for any confusion with the term "wireless"!
In this day and age of wireless (bluetooth, WiFi, etc.) technology, we often forget the original transition from wired telegraph to wireless telegraph.
Many aircraft of the interwar period, as well as WWII and shortly agter, which had the room and a dedicated radio operator, had a key for tapping out Morse Code on certain low frequencies, which could carry further and with clarity over the higher frequencies used for voice communications.

And those are great close-up photos of the T.1 key. I also see the dial for the loop antenna (below the key) used for direction finding - the loop antenna on the Bf110 was on the bottom of the fuselage, just aft of the cockpit.
This was the same antenna and directional TX/RX equipment that was used on the Bv138, Fw200, He177, Bv222, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back