Messerschmitt Bf 110G-4 1/48 scale

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You're welcome, and I'd leave things as they are in the diorama, the info can be used for the next one. As for the Dark Yellow, this colour was specified to replace the grey on all German transport and ground equipment, from late 1941, irrespective of Theatre. Of course, depending on terrain, it could stand out somewhat, hence the specification for mottle/striped additions. At unit level, the latter could be quite heavy, with very little of the yellow visible.

Thankyou everyone for the kind comments.

My fan base at home...
(case still needs cleaning up a bit).

IMG_9518.JPG

Airframes: Did you make that from clear acrylic sheet?

Yup - acrylic sheeting. It's a precision and patience game though to cut the stuff. After a few web checks I followed the advice of using a piece of angle iron clamped down over the sheeting (at the mo I'm using a flat metal bar though). Apart from getting the measurements dead right (checking and rechecking to be spot on) and taking great care to get the bar clamped down just right I found the biggest problem was finding blades strong enough - that don't snap off at the very tip of the blade. I moved onto Stanley FatMax blades which lasted longer. For home display the end results are very good but if I was to ever need exhibition standard (hey - maybe one day... ;) ) it might be better to get it professionally cut - but at a cost. Or practice more, but it's expensive stuff to make mistakes with.

Thanks for the info. It's the cutting which is the hard part I believe - did you use a power saw? I know it's easy to mess it up, or melt it if the wrong blade/speed is used, and that's not good given the cost of acrylic sheet!

There's advice out there re saw cutting. Blade and speed is crucial, as you say, otherwise it melts, fuses and makes a right old hash with a gooey melted edge which I found out on a practice run just to see what would happen. One day I might go back to it and practice further. So, not wanting to waste the stuff I decided to stick to manual cutting with a blade. The thing about cutting it - or scoring - is I had to go firmly and slowly so as not to slip and slash across the sheeting (or cut my fingers which were kept well out of the way) and also to follow the initial score line exactly on each subsequent scoring run, getting deep enough for it to be then snapped off with a nice clean edge. And I found the score line had to go quite far down for this to be successful; the less messing about with the edges afterwards the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back