Midway movie trailer

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
Just don't know how I feel about this yet. Being from the director of Independence Day, I think the CGI will be more Hollywood than reality.

Sorry, thought this was a new trailer but I see now it's called "Dauntless" and I think this has been posted somewhere already. Admin's can delete this thread if you want.

I'm definitely not a fan of Emmerich's movies in general; Stargate and Independence Day were fun, but he's become too fascinated by and reliant on spectacle. It shows in this trailer. As a history buff in general and especially WWII aviation, it's frustrating to see it treated superficially and with video-game realism. It's what's made me so protective of the WWII aviation story I've been researching and writing about for thirty years, and frustrated at the focus on the same events when so many other stories are worthy. (You can see the one I've been researching and writing about at the link.)

But—even so, we know virtually no one under the age of thirty-five or so knows much or anything about World War II, much less Midway, and if this can get them in the seats and show them what it meant to dive a Dauntless or Devastator on a carrier, and hopefully, without too much excess—it is Emmerich, after all—the importance of Midway to the war, I think that's a good thing.

http://zeamerseagerbeavers.com/

I wouldn't mind Emmerich making a movie which centers around FAA operations in the North Sea, especially Stringbag, Albacore, and Barracuda operations.

While I can understand the sentiments of more than a few that this use of CGI does tend to reduce such a flick to that of a video game spectacle, but, as you say, this is fine. But, with the relative explosion of aviation history recently, I'd like to see such spectacles as 1 Aug, 1943(Operation Tidalwave), where 177 Liberators took off(and 176 continuing after one had to turn back). because not only would a massed armada of Liberators would be magnificent enough on its own, but CR42s, Me110s, and IAR80s flitting across the silver screen doing their own thing would be worth the spectacle.

Or the first mass raid on Cologne(the 1000 plane raid), would be enjoyable.

One of the wonders of the current state of movie CGI means that even the most obscure(but important for the war) aircraft types can be portrayed with a surprising amount of accuracy.

Or, and this might never come to be, what about a movie about the very first stealth bomber, the Linke-Hoffmann R1.

But, don't get me started on Flyboys and their use of Shaky Jakes in place of real rotaries in Nieuports.

Unfortunately no CGI can substitute knowledge and realism. Some days ago I was watching the above trailer (see under post#3) and the first thing that caught my eye was that all "Mitchells" preparing for the Tokyo raid are the J-model!!!!o_O Check @ 0:57.
Why guys, why didn't you ask in this forum (for example)? Or is this because in the latest "Pear Harbor"-movie they used real flyable J-models for the same purpose? Do you learn history from other movies?
Not to speak of the dubious national insignia with stars with red disks and white bars(on the wings)!!!:oops::rolleyes:o_O Guys, even Wikipedia will tell you what are the correct USAAF insignia for the period! Or the incorrect carburetor intakes (the tall, postwar ones)? When one has such powerful tool (CGI) that can create a new reality, isn't his biggest sin creating wrong (fake) reality?

I cringed when I saw the A6Ms flying down the street, between (or through, depending on perspective) the Palm Trees. They pulled similar shenanigans in that dumpster fire "Pearl Harbor" in the dog-fight between the P-40 and the A6M.

Another historical CGI gaff that comes to mind, is the WWI movie "Flyboys", where the Germans all had Fokker DR.I types (all painted red, too) and the Allies were all flying the Nieuport XVII...

No Fokker DR.VII, no Spad X.VII/X.III, no Albatros (D.III, D.IV, D.V, etc.), no RAF S.E.5 and so on...

Oh Jes#s, I've been putting off this film, but it's a rainy Saturday and it's on Prime, so go for it..... no, terrible film. No Wildcats, no microphones for aircrew com, just bloody awful.

Watch the realism of the opening Spitfire scene in Dunkirk for what it's supposed to be like. Rattling interior, scratchy radio com, g-forces, etc.
I cringed when I saw the A6Ms flying down the street, between (or through, depending on perspective) the Palm Trees. They pulled similar shenanigans in that dumpster fire "Pearl Harbor" in the dog-fight between the P-40 and the A6M.

Another historical CGI gaff that comes to mind, is the WWI movie "Flyboys", where the Germans all had Fokker DR.I types (all painted red, too) and the Allies were all flying the Nieuport XVII...

No Fokker DR.VII, no Spad X.VII/X.III, no Albatros (D.III, D.IV, D.V, etc.), no RAF S.E.5 and so on...
Why is it that American studios rely on a combination of CGI, neglect of easily verifiable details, and, ahem factual flexibility. I know, money..... but you can do it better, like Tora Tora.

Last edited:
Oh Jes#s, I've been putting off this film, but it's a rainy Saturday and it's on Prime, so go for it..... no, terrible film. No Wildcats, no microphones for aircrew com, just bloody awful.

Watch the realism of the opening Spitfire scene in Dunkirk for what it's supposed to be like. Rattling interior, scratchy radio com, g-forces, etc.
Why is it that American studios rely on a combination of CGI, neglect of easily verifiable details, and, ahem factual flexibility. I know, money..... but you can do it better, like Tora Tora.
Besides money, laziness is a big factor. Now, I've been finding some music videos titled 2 Steps From Hell, and while there are a lot of subjects covered, fantasy to real wars, the aircraft in some of the videos are quite well done, and there are many types that have become vanished from the public lexicon, if it ever was. If I can, I'll post a youtube link and you can see for yourself. Now, if the same attention to detail CGI could be used in a music video, how about a feature lenght movie of battles in the past, say, 1 August, 1943, Operation Tidal Wave. Given the current spate of comic book movies are whetting the appetites of the viewing public, why not some real action in ways that'll put Grampa's "There I was at 10,000ft......." into a new perspective for the youngsters. I wasn't around then, but I know how secure I'd feel that just sheet aluminum 1/8" thick will protect me from bullets at the ripe old age of 18, with my breath very visble it's colder'n hell. Enjoy the video. Me, I want to build a model of White 23.

Two Steps From Hell is part of the "Epic Score Music" genre (basically movie score music) along with the likes of E.F. Posthumous, Clint Mansell, Globus and others.

They have great compositions with accompanying videos. :thumbleft:
My question is, do they prove that there could be more war and military movies using that kind of CGI, especially when there are aircraft featured which no longer exist anywhere in flyable condition, such as the Vultee Vengeance, if a director wished to make a movie about RAAF operations using the Vengeance?

My question is, do they prove that there could be more war and military movies using that kind of CGI, especially when there are aircraft featured which no longer exist anywhere in flyable condition, such as the Vultee Vengeance, if a director wished to make a movie about RAAF operations using the Vengeance?
I'd rather the producers skip the CGI and use real aircraft, scratch-built replicas, modified stand-in aircraft or when necessary r/c models.

These Stukas were R/C models....

So is this He-111

Just a big model.

editor_images%2F1526477437092-CmJMM4UWgAAuLk0.jpg

You don't need CGI. The first three Star Wars films where done with all models and they've stood the test of time far more than the later CGI flicks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back