MiG-15 vs. F-84F Thunderstreak?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jerry W. Loper

Airman 1st Class
Oct 2, 2007
The swept-wing Republic F-84F Thunderstreak entered operational service in 1954, the year after the Korean ceasefire. If that conflict had lasted a little longer, how would the F-84F have done against the MiG-15?

The F-84F was heavier and did not accelerate as fast as the MiG-15 or the MiG-15Bis. It was a bit faster than the F-86F but did have some nasty spin characteristics. Like the earlier F-84s it was a good fighter bomber and I think it was better served in that role based on its performance.

The F-84F was heavier and did not accelerate as fast as the MiG-15 or the MiG-15Bis. It was a bit faster than the F-86F but did have some nasty spin characteristics. Like the earlier F-84s it was a good fighter bomber and I think it was better served in that role based on its performance.
agree

Agree w/elaboration. The 84F was considered a dog in a fight with an 86, particularly the E and F... it was the first of the Republic Iron Works Lead Sleds with F105 taking future honors.

My father considered that the USAF Fighter (air superiority role) program went down hill from the F-86 until the F-16... and he flew all of them (F80- 105) until 1962.

Friends that flew both the F8U and F4 swore by the F8 as a dogfighter... but it was a Post Korean War anomaly re: ACM capability. It lost one fight in VietNam, killing 16 MiG17s and 3 MiG21's.

Good info Bill. My all time favorite airplane movie "The Hunters" with Robert Mitchum and Robert Wagner had F-84s posing as MiGs (I'm sure you've seen it several times).

I heard the same thing about the Crusader, AKA "The Last Gunfighter." Those who flew her loved her and touted that she was the true "MiG Master" of the Vietnam War (her record verifies that).

JoeB might pipe in here but I read a Soviet pilot's critique of the F-84 and in aerial combat he thought it was a good aircraft.

Good info Bill. My all time favorite airplane movie "The Hunters" with Robert Mitchum and Robert Wagner had F-84s posing as MiGs (I'm sure you've seen it several times).

I love that movie

I heard the same thing about the Crusader, AKA "The Last Gunfighter." Those who flew her loved her and touted that she was the true "MiG Master" of the Vietnam War (her record verifies that).

I can remember a 1968 Aces Convention when Billy Kidd USN and Olds/Titus talking about Crusader versus F4 and how much Olds and Titus envied Kidd.. I think Kidd had two or three MiGs - I can't remember what Titus/Olds scores were at the time.

I have heard from several guys who flew with Olds that swear he had 6 or 7 MiGs in Nam but swore everyone to secrecy because he didn't want to go home.

JoeB might pipe in here but I read a Soviet pilot's critique of the F-84 and in aerial combat he thought it was a good aircraft.

Must be talking about D (maybe G?).. Did the F even fly in Korea?

A guy I knew said he did the USAF production acceptance flights for the F-84 soon after WWII. He was not very impressed with them. He said that he believed that the way that Republic designed fighters was to find out what other companies fighters weighed. Then they doubled that figure and built to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back