"Mig-19" (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

R Pope

Senior Airman
Mar 10, 2004
Looking through some old magazines and saw a Revell ad for a "Mig 19" model. It looks like a Ta 183 with a radome and Russian stars. Anybody else remember this model? Apparently based on the Ruskies capturing some German prototypes.....

Creation of the TV-2 (NK-12) turboprop engine

It appears to me Stalin carted off the entire Junkers turboprop design staff as slave laborers. I doubt this was a unique incident.

It was most certainly not. The V-2 was produced in the USSR post war and work was continued on the Jumo 223 and 224. Not to mention the French assumption of the Panther tank and the Jumo 213 engine.

What was the joke? " Our German scientists were better than their German scientists"

Edit:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focke-Wulf_Ta_183
Historians including David Myrha[6] have claimed the Soviet Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15 was at least inspired by the Ta 183, because the Soviets captured plans from the Germans at the end of World War II. The MiG-15 does bear a superficial resemblance in layout, sharing the high tailplane and nose mounted intake, although the aircraft are different in structure, details, and proportions. The MiG-15's design shared features, and some appearance commonalities with the MiG design bureau's own 1945-46 attempt at a Soviet-built version of the Messerschmitt Me 263 rocket fighter, and also common to many contemporary jet fighters — and were derived from aerodynamic and structural considerations (for example, the American Republic F-84F, the Swedish SAAB 29, and the French Dassault Ouragan and Mystère). A detailed design history of the MiG-15 was published by Russian aviation historian Yefim Gordon[7] refuting any connection between the Ta 183 and the MiG-15. According to the designers, the MiG-15 was an indigenous design, their choice of swept wings (as swept-back wings of any sort on a Soviet-designed aircraft were first flown on the MiG-8 Utka canard light aircraft) being due to their desire to move ahead of most Western designs which were not intended for the 960 km/h+ (600 mph+) speed range.

Like the MiG-9 -15, the Saab 29 is subject to claims of having been indirectly influenced by the Ta 183. SAAB engineers received German research studies in swept wings in the immediate post-war period via contacts in Switzerland, and incorporated it into the Tunnan design, which was still limited to paper studies at the time.[8]

That Mig 19 model was a mistake made by Revelle before pictures of the real Mig 19 were made public.
It had absolutely no resemblance to the real Mig 19, it was just a fanciful creation of someones imagination. Though it does resemble the Ta183.
The Russians did make limited run Mig 15 and 17s with radar radomes on the nose that slightly resemble that model, but I don't think nothing like that model was ever built.

I wish I had hung on to that model from the late 50's or early 60's, it would probably be worth something now.

That's not the Mig 19.

This is
155367.jpg

mig19pmtd_2.jpg

Rimg0494.jpg

True Shortround6, reminds me of the 1st Mig25 pics which I saw once upon a time in a few mags (before Viktor Belenko went to Japan on his holidays).
I chose those pics as they showed the outline best (esp the twin engines).

I have a pocket sized The Observer's Book of Aircraft for 1959 which notes the MIG 21 as having just entered service.
The blurry photo and silhouette is for a plane that looks like a more streamlined and attractive single engined MIG 19 with no sign of a delta wing, presumably one of the early protoypes got photographed but not the tailed delta chosen for production.
It must have been hard and risky obtaining definite information in a totalitarian USSR.

By taking a quick squizz on the net I found these, both of which resemble the aircraft you guys mentioned, only made by Lindberg and Aurora:

Old Plastic Model Kits: model airplane kits, Revell, Monogram, Aurora

Old Plastic Model Kits: model airplane kits, Revell, Monogram, Aurora

Here is the Aurora kit built:

Aurora MIG-19 Model Kit by Aurora

I do think you right , mine probably was Aurora.

I do remember it was a crappy shade of green.

When I realized it was a model of a non-existent aircraft, I threw it away. That usually meant firecrackers were involved.

Aurora models of the 50's were not of very good quality or accuracy. I remember a Bf109E model that was molded in dark maroon plastic.
But Aurora, Lindberg, and sometimes Revelle was all you'd see in my area.

When I got to a big city and discovered Airfix and some of the other foreign brands, I thought I had died and went to heaven.

Aurora models of the 50's were not of very good quality or accuracy. I remember a Bf109E model that was molded in dark maroon plastic.
But Aurora, Lindberg, and sometimes Revelle was all you'd see in my area.

When I got to a big city and discovered Airfix and some of the other foreign brands, I thought I had died and went to heaven.
Aurora was the worst. I still have nightmares about trying to get that landing gear to work on that F8U!:shock: I always thought that Monograms were top quality models, Revelle and Linberg were ok.

It's been quite a few years since I made my last model but for some reason, here in the UK at least, the Mig 19 was very hard to find, I think the French firm Heller did one but since the fall of the old Soviet bloc that has gotten a lot better with several offerings from Eastern Europe now available.
Always thought it was a very handsome looking plane.

It is and the Chinese version is quite well built, albeit with the short-life jet engines. Still, it DOES perform when required. Higher landing speeds but good behabior in general. No real vices except fuel use.

If I were a warbird collector, I'd take a MiG-17 over a MiG-19 any day. Half the fuel burn, and it's still too much! You can do OK with MiG-17 if you climb to altitude and stay out of afterburner. Otherwise, better have a fuel truck nearby. The MiG-19 is worse.

I sat in a MiG-17 one might in Phoenix and we burned up about $500 of fuel in roughly 4 minutes! ... in AB. But it DID make a huge flame out the back end and contributed to a great night of firsts (got to taxi it ... steering with brakes only). The guynsight was operational was was very interesting. We hung a pic of a Corsair on the wall and used the throttle grip to move the sight ring to match the wingspan, and pulled the trigger ... unfortunately no guns or ammo, but it is a gyroscopic, compensating gunsight. When you move your head the sight reticle moves with you ... at least to the edge of the sight glass.

Last edited:
I have an Air Progress mag from the '50's with an article on Soviet planes that has a drawing of the "Mig 19" and a bomber that looks like the Junkers FSW project ID'd as a Tupolev product.
The spies were using their imagination pretty good back then!

The MiG-17 gunsight is a F-86 gunsight. Stolen.
That Popular Science is a rum do. But in them days u could write total balls and no one could contradict you coz no one knew any better. Nice work if you can get it.
Red stars were painted on any western jet so YF-17 becomes MiG-29 when red stars are added.
I did see a pix of a single engined MiG-19 or was it a MiG-21 with the -19 wing? dunno.
I only wished the British copied the Ta 183 instead of the Meteor.

In the Popular Science mag, it says the armament of the F-84 is classified. But a quick google search says 6 .50 cals?
Am I going to jail?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back