Mitsubishi J8M 'Shusui' at the Mitsubishi showroom

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You are welcome, otftch.

This engine was gifted to Modern Transportation Museum in Osaka by USAF in 1970 together with a set of XLR-11-RM-5 rocket engine for the Bell X-1.

Hello everyone!!!

Great photos and great PDF. !!!!! Do you by chance have any other PDF.s like this one or can show me a link to some more

Yes, I have hundreds of pdf files.
Welcome to the forum, SirWellington.

Hello Shinpachi-san!

This is all great information and great pictures of The J8M!

But what about this color? Is there any information available on what basis this color was chosen for the restoration?

it is so striking unusual.
thanks for any inpu here :)

Light green was the scheduled color for the production type.
Orange was for the prototype.

Light green is said being introduced in the local book "日本航空機大図鑑(The Japanese Air Craft Visual Collection 1910-1945 published by Kokusyo Kankokai)".

No more detailed information at the moment.

Attachments

• img56511345.jpg
    img56511345.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 136
So this is a color which was scheduled for future production to replace the dark green in general (also other planes) or was it special for the
J8M?

interesting! never heared that before.

is the book stating a reference document where this is coming from?

as others are also interested in the matter I will spread that news if you don't mind.

arigato!

Last edited:
You are welcome, vampirella.
No further information for me at the moment as I do not like to comment on my guess but you may spread it as that is the common knowledge among the scale modellers in Japan.

The book is hard to come by today as publish discontinued.
Acording to my quick research, some local libraries are keeping the book of 3 volumes. I'm going to visit one of them in the future.

Thanks!

So this is the book.
Technical information was gathered by the author, Toshihiko Ogawa, as a former IJA officer and aircraft engineer during the war and after the war.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

arigato gosaimasu, Shinpachi-san!!

wonderful. It is interesting that he was an officer himself, first hand information is very valuable.

actually one question remains to me - is this color mentioned for the J8M alone or does he say that the light green was supposed to be the future standard color for new aircraft, superseding the dark green?!

on the other hand... the depiction of the A6M colors seems a bit off compared to the latest findings. especially the "white" is way too white for what seems to have been the correct color from what I have found on the internet. the dark green seems not dark enough to me. But then, I am an amateur when it comes to such things ;)

Last edited:
I'm glad if my information may be useful for you.

The rocket fighter "Shusui" project was a joint-development of army and navy.
J8M1 was navy's designation. For army, it was Ki-200. The book identifys the light green Shusui as Ki-200, so I think the color would probably have been for the army service.

The author, Toshihiko Ogawa, also says that the color definition was not necessarily so strict as the allies. Therefore, he often found out different green or grey on the same model of aircraft during the war. He says these colors in the book are based on his 'own' experience during the war and research after the war.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I didn't want to push anyone in that directin but the Army color thing also crossed my mind at some point in the past... I am happy to see someone like you having the same idea. Interesting taht the version in the Museum is a Navy version, weapons and all...

actually that statement of the author regarding "experienced" color vs. western style cathegorized colors is interesting. I have made the experience that also todays modelling community in japan approaches the matter somewaht differently that the american counterparts (being european I may feel free to chose what fits me best).

Thanks for your superfast insights into this book which would not be available or even known otherwise.
ご支援いただきありがとうございます

どういたしましてvampirellaさん。
お役に立てて光栄です。

It's my honor to have supported you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back